Mullvad client not working in 18.04

I have confirmed that the Mullvad client app, which loaded and worked fine in all prior versions of Ubuntu, does not work in 18.04. I have even tried a few fixes suggested by Sanny, the guy who runs Mullvad. What is next is to try wireguard or openVPN. That is a it over my head, says the guy who hasn’t tried it yet.

Any reason why the client doesn’t run?

Sadly i think that its a app problem.

As it is a vpn provider it might be best to ask them

As I’m using Mullvad - this is of great concern for me…

But it’s apparently an UBUNTU problem as well - and there appears to be a fix…

here is the link for the post I read and it’s fix Mullvad Fix

But basically - try this from the terminal:

env MULLVAD_USE_GTK3=yes mullvad

and assuming that brings mullvad with no issues, then change your shortcut to point to this command.
Read the link for more details!

I have been in contact with Sanny at Mullvad. He states that there is a problem in 18.04. He gave me a few things to try, including that terminal command given above, and it did not work for me. As I have used Mullvad with the app from 16.04 including 16.10 and 17.04 and 17.10 including other distros based on Ubuntu, I would say it is not really a problem with the app but is due to a change in Ubuntu 18.04. Thanks for trying, but shoving it off on the app is not useful when they have been working with me.

My machine has 4 partitions, each with a different distro, currently all Ubuntu-based. I only, to date, updated my Ubuntu MATE partition to 18.04. Given the trouble I’m having, I am reluctant to update any other distros to 18.04.

I made the fixes referred to to the best of my n00b ability. I have made progress, and have had the client box pop up – with a message saying that Mullvad is already running, when it is actually not. When I reboot and try again, the client box does not come up, and running the Mullvad command, well, it doesn’t work. Again, I’m not the most knowledgeable, but I mostly did copy-and-paste with the fix shown.

I tried going into my Statup Applications box and fixing it. No change. Probably did it wrong.

I don’t know if you guys are interested, but I made a client version using WireGuard some time ago.

The developers behind Mullvad have previously stated that: “WireGuard is the future”. Which made me invest time into actualizing a user friendly version of WireGuard with Mullvad.

If you’re interested have a look!

Definitely interested. I love/hate learning new stuff. Can’t get time to clear my brain cells for a few days though. I have linked the page.