Multile DBUS Daemon's and GVFSD processess

Every time that I logout and log back into Ubuntu Mate, I get an extra DBUS Daemon and GVFSD Process running in the mate-system-monitor. I can see that the unit goes from session-c1.scope to session-c3.scope. Is this normal? Is there a way to not have this happen? I use i3wm sometimes along with MATE, and switching back and forth causes a ton of these processes.

Hi @CrazyDesi,

I have no idea if it is normal myself, have you run a full system update?:

I figured some of it out yesterday. For those that are curious:

A little while ago, systemd decided to close all processes for users upon logout. The Debian community fought this and set a special flag in the systemd configuration by default that causes the processes to persist(which is useful for people on servers or multiple accounts). These processes are launched by systemd itself and are not closed on logout.

I don’t know how to get the processes to close, but if you want to change it so that logging out causes the processes to end:

Edit the file /etc/systemd/logind.conf. Uncomment(remove the #) flag that says KillUserProcesses and change the value to yes.

The discussion about this is available here: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=825394

2 Likes

Also I don’t know if this is a direction the MATE community wants to go with, but the flag to save running applications or turn them off on logout should set this value also otherwise users may not realize that multiple processes are running on logout. This would probably not make a big difference in workstations but will on things like the Raspberry Pi. Should I start a new topic on this?

2 Likes

Hi @CrazyDesi,

yes!, please start a new thread so no one gets confused; thanks!. :thumbsup:

2 Likes