Mutate and Albert Launcher

I like Synapse but why not use Albert or Mutate ?
In Synapse if you whant to open lets say www.google.com you need to go the the web tab and so one.

Albert have a ppa made by webup8
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8 && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install albert

Mutate have a ppa made by noobslab
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/apps && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install mutate`

Is Mutate in active development? The last commit to it was 47 weeks ago. And there are no wily or xenial packages for Mutate.

I still prefer Albert too. It is very fast, at least for app launch and calculator, my main uses. I especially don’t like how Synapse has various “tabs” to the left and right because then I can’t use the arrow keys to move the cursor to edit searches or calculations. I know it is Qt, but so is VLC, and it’s not like a launcher uses a lot of standard widgets anyway.

I like Albert, I even maintain a PPA for it. But it is not production ready yet.

Agreed. If it didn’t work so well when it worked, I probably wouldn’t put up with the flakiness :wink:

Oh My God. thank you so much @APolihron !

I’ve been really searching for Albert for Ubuntu. Only found mutate.
where did you find that ppa? :grinning:

I was searching for a desktio search utulity with indexing, app launching and plugins. but mutate only does some of those functionalities but not so well…

Anyway mutate isn’t living up to my standards it’s EXTREMELY slow in finding files since there’s no indexing.
And that’s the main reason i use it for.

Just installed Albert now and in seconds i could reach every single file in my system with practically zero search time. And it’s more cutsomizable and extendable.
So, actually why not use Albert?

Hi ItamarGronich, welcome to the forums. Glad you found what you were looking for, but 16.04 testing has closed and we are now in 16.10 testing. If you wish to continue a discussion please link to this thread.

Thank you