My little Acer Aspire One

Just to let you know you can even fit Ubuntu MATE 15.04 on a Acer Aspire One D150 with 1 gig ram and a 160 gig Hard Drive! :wink:

Loads better than the Ubuntu 10.10 it originally had installed. :smiley:

Sorry for the bad pics, my Samsung Galaxy S4 died & all I had was this Galaxy Tab to take photos with. :grimacing:

7 Likes

Looks good!. :smiley:

Yep, got bored of all the error messages when it tried to update. I always wanted to try UNetbootin anyway. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also have an Aspire One! :slight_smile: But I have problems booting and shutting down for some reason… This is what’s happening to mine: Problem: Always suspending during boot and shutdown

You didn’t experience this?

I have an Acer Aspire ONE. I initially installed Ubuntu Mate on it. but it was a bit sluggish. I am going to buy a 2 gig memory module to upgrade it from the current 1 gig of memory it has on board. At which point I will definitely reinstall Ubuntu Mate. However, in the meantime, I have installed Lubuntu and have significantly tweaked it to look like Ubuntu Mate and it is running fine. See below:

1 Like

Yep, I’m getting it here as well. It’ll start Plymouth boot screen & power button will blink orange, I press a key & it continues to login screen. I log in and it’ll do it again. Press another key and it then shows the desktop. Weird. If you or someone else finds out how to fix it, neat, otherwise it’s just a small annoyance (to me at least). :wink: The weird thing is, Ubuntu 10.10 didn’t do this at all, only Ubuntu MATE 15.04.

If your not scared to try this, there is a shortcut I’ve found to the shutdown problem. Right click on the desktop and click on Create Launcher. then choose Application in the first line, Type Shut Down in the name box. In the command box type shutdown -P now (do NOT add sudo to the front as it won’t work that way). Leave a comment in the Comment box & click on the Icon picture to find an appropriate shutdown icon. It should (if it works) kick you to the shutdown Plymouth screen & shut off.

I’ve found this works, but the drawback is there’s no warning box popping up giving you a chance to cancel, it goes right into the power down sequence. And if you want to have a restart icon, do the same except change the P to r.

Hope this helps.

Hmmm, it’s not Ubuntu-MATE doing it. For fun I made a Live-usb with Xubuntu 15.10 on it. I installed it and if anything it’s worse on this Distro. I have to press a key to get rid of the blinking orange power switch light at least 3 times from power on to desktop screen. And now it happens when I go to restart or shutdown and I have to press a key in the middle of the closing Plymouth animation.

Think I’ll go back to MATE. :wink:

I have one as well! Unbelievable it still works. I use Lubuntu on my D150 as well. Tried Mate but was very sluggish as well. Swaped hd for SSD and upgraded memory to 2gigs after a year of owning mine. I use it when need space is a problem when travelling. Oh almost forgot I never use my on board wifi card I use a AC wireless usb adapter. It works fine.
Glad that I not the only one that still uses a old tech netbook from time to time.

1 Like

Once solution is to install UM. But then immediately also install the LXDE/Lubuntu desktop on top. That way, one gets all the speed of the LXDE desktop, but still retains all of the nice desktop tools of UM, many of which will still operate unproblematically in the LXDE desktop. It’s what I do with my ACER ONE notepad.

1 Like

I also have 2 Aspire One d250’s and they’re among my very favorite computers of all time… Rock solid. Both have 2 gigs of memory. Wonderful little machine:slight_smile: