My Ubuntu mate internet connection keeps crashing

hi I have ubuntu mate 20

the internet connection in both wifi and wired connection keeps crashing .
the desktop shows no internet , then I disconnect the ENABLE NETWORKING and then I reconnect it and the internet returns . then after sometimes then connection may go off again. so I have to repeat the steps.

Hi :slight_smile:
Is there something there that may let think about a power save mode ?
Is this connection fails occurring after some minutes or is it really random ?

hi thanks for looking into my problem
as of now the wired connection has become stable but the wifi keeps crashing time and again. this happens both in charging or battery mode of the laptop.

these are some details of my computer

Network:
Device-1: Ralink RT3290 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe driver: rt2800pci
IF: wlo1 state: down mac: 08:3e:8e:71:41:95
Device-2: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet driver: r8169
IF: eno1 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 28:92:4a:4a:90:c9

hi,

i have had a similar issue with my intel nuc 8i3beh. kept losing both wired and wireless internet speed. i did a bit of research and discovered that there can be an issue with ubuntu 20.04 and the kernel that it uses. check your kernel version. if it is 5.4 or lower update to a newer version of the kernel, i updated to 5.7, and the issue should disappear. check by opening the terminal and typing uname -r.

here is a thread about network speeds, it can be due to a few possible issues and this thread lists all the possible solutions except the one that fixed it for me.

slow network speeds

here is the link to how to update the kernel...

kernel update via terminal

i tried all the other solutions (none of which worked for me) before updating the kernel and ever since the update my network speeds have been perfect.

1 Like

Thank you. My kernel version is 5.4 so that may be the problem .I will try updating the kernel and will post the result. Thank you once again
I

hi I have updated my kernel and now the WiFi is working fine.I thank olek , gawainthevegan
and the ubuntu mate community ias a whole in helping me fix the problem , Thank you once again.

1 Like

that's brilliant news. glad to be of help and super glad you got it sorted. as a brief update i have had no further issues at all with internet speeds since i did the update so you should find it a permanent fix.