Naive Question Regarding Terminal/Update Mgr?

This is in my terminal:

The following packages will be upgraded:
gir1.2-rb-3.0 libpolkit-agent-1-0 libpolkit-backend-1-0
libpolkit-gobject-1-0 librhythmbox-core9 libsmbclient libwbclient0
policykit-1 python-samba rhythmbox rhythmbox-data
rhythmbox-plugin-cdrecorder rhythmbox-plugins samba-common samba-common-bin
samba-libs smbclient xserver-common xserver-xorg-core

I am trying to make sense out of how best to update. Yesterday the xserver-common xserver-xorg-core update was ready in my terminal but not my Update Mgr; but today it is in both - the other updates, however, are not yet in my Update Mgr.

My primary question is: because sometimes the updates I see in the terminal never show up in the Update Mgr - is it generally good to install the ‘terminal only’ updates? I merely want to stay safe; just in case there was a hard & fast reason why these updates were not in the MATE Update Mgr.

Thanks

Apt-get is what Update Manager uses.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Is the same thing as using update manager. So I’m guessing your set to update once a day and the cycle has not yet completed, causing a lag between the two.

You should be able to update in terminal and then also see it in update manager as this would force an update.

2 Likes

@anon42388993: That is what I was thinking… hmm… except, about once every other week, I get something which only appears in the terminal, and on Synaptic update, but not the Update Mgr. For instance, a couple of weeks ago, Wimpy had to tell me to install libnautilus-extension1a python3-distupgrade ubuntu-release-upgrader-core ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk because, even after a week, it never did show up on my Update Mgr; so I wanted to be sure.

I am a newbie - and my leaning curve is utterly apparent :flushed:; thanks for getting back; and thanks for your patience as well!

1 Like

See also:

1 Like