Need a cheap new printer / scanner working out of the box

Dear fellow user,

the request is rather simple - The update to 20.04 hit my mother-in-law hard, as her old HP multi-function device stopped working. As she is rather far away and I don't have physical access to her machine she bought another HP (my recommendation) and guess what - it didn't work also

Due to the pandemic I don't have a chance to do anything substantial on the machine (a Lenovo T440s), so the best solution would be to buy a printer / scanner which works out of the box with Ubuntu Mate 20-04.

Could you recommend anything current in the consumer category (~100€) that she just needs to plugin and it works?

To make it clear - She won't be able to install a driver and much less do any troubleshooting on the terminal (we tried with remote control... lets simply say it doesn't work and that it is not tied to any technical issues...). Also I've been looking around and none of the devices recommended on the web are listed on amazon.de anymore.

Thank you so much in advance!

C

In fact, there's some printer models that just works in ubuntu, but using like "plug&play" and go is a bit difficult. Most of it need to update drivers when kernel changes and in 20.04 is the same problem for begginers. But some specific multis are abailable with very few clics, and this could be done easy by call. Can tell you I've buyed recently et-2600
Works great, quite fast, linux drivers easy for install, eco (do not need catridges) , easy to recharge and cheap-long bootles. You can download drivers from Sane, send by mail, she one-click install with gdebi and run. Optional you can configure wi-fi, but not necessary. Very happy in my case. Perhaps bit expensive, but you return price in few months. Note: simple scan do not works, you must use scan2pdf for scanning, that's a limitation.
But sure there's lots good options. Its only my impression.
Lucky

I use a very cheap Canon MG 2500 series which works fine and is auto setup upon plugging in the US it's often available for less than 30 USD, if this is a temporary fix that might be one of the cheapest options

I bought this and works out of the box:
HP Deskjet 3762 All-in-one

I bought two months ago a allo-in-one Epson XP-6100 (around 120 €) : printing and scanning works out of the box on Ubuntu-MATE. I use it with Wi-Fi.

1 Like

Out of curiosity: what are the two HP devices which did not work?

The first one which gave up (but already in 18.04, so it may have been simply broken) was a HP Deskjet 3630 - the new one she bought after my recommendation was the HP Deskjet 3760.
We will go with the Epson XP-6100 and hope for the best - Somehow I get a lot of papercuts with current distros. This was the worst issue, so thank you very much for the suggestions!

(Just for lulz: The other papercuts are the second super as well as the menu key not working in Pop! OS 20.04 and now I'm om Manjaro Live and can't even change the wallpaper - But I need something new as I'm on Debian Oldstable...)

The Deskjet 3630 is definitely listed as supported in https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index, the Deskjet 3760 is not listed, only various other 37xx models.

I use a Canon TR8520. It auto connects in Ubuntu Mate without any problem. Generic ink cartridges work and thus reduces the cost of ink. Good price and great for Linux. Found the printer via Wi-Fi and scanner just works.

Hi :slight_smile:
I use a HP ENVY 5530 series with my computers running ubuntu mate 16.04 up to 20.04 without any issue.

The linux driver looks doing good work :