Need help chosing a Ubuntu version

New to Ubuntu and I am wondering what version of Ubuntu is best for laptops.
I have a Dell laptop that is currently running Windows XP and basically has been sitting there being used since they eneded support. Fixed income just couldn’t allow upgrading to Windows 8.1.

So I have been researching Linux and Ubuntu and feel that Ubuntu would be the best for my system. Is there one version of it that runs better on a laptop? I will be installing to run as dual boot as I have programs that will run on XP.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well, I would say it is a choice between Xubuntu and Ubuntu Mate. For me, the choice is clear; Ubuntu Mate.

The reason being twofold.

1. Ubuntu Mate is as equally lightweight as Xubuntu

2. Ubuntu Mate is far more stable and far more feature rich than Xubuntu

But, given that you have asked this question on an Ubuntu-Mate forum, you should not be surprised with my answer.

1 Like

stevecook172001

Thank you for the quick reply and your thoughts on Ubuntu Mate.

I’ve been reading as much information as I can on Ubuntu and most of the agree that Mate is the best version for a
laptop.

True…I suppose I should have created a post in Ubuntu and not the Mate forum…lol!

If it helps, here is a video I just knocked up showing what kind of tailored desktop environment can be created with Ubuntu Mate.

Apologies for the creepy breathing sound. I was too close to the microphone… :grin:

Thanks so much. Great job.

I’m downloading it now and hope to install it this weekend.

I will post how it goes or be back if I have a problem.

Again, thanks.

As I said I am new to Ubuntu and have never attempted to install this or any other OS before.

I have the disc ready to go and I want to make sure I understand the installation correctly.
Someone told me that I don’t need to partion to install Ubuntu and that I can install it inside Windows XP and run as a dual boot. Then another person said if I install it and don’t make a new parition that I won’t be able to access XP.

Which of these is correct.
Can I install it inside XP and be able to dual boot without losing Windows.
Thank you.

If you want to install inside windows, then you need to install it as a virtual machine. For this you would need a program like “Virtualbox”. This will work, but because it is running virtually, it will run with significant performance loss due to both windows (the host machine) and Ubuntu Mate (the virtual machine) running at the same time.

If you want to run it as a proper dual boot, then this means that both operating systems are fully installed on the hard drive as standalone operating systems that run independent of each other. That is to say, you either boot fully into one or the other of them and while any one of them is running the other is not. If you want full performance of each, then this is absolutely the only way to go. However, it is not always straightforward, but is definitely doable.

I haven’t got time to write out a full tutorial here cos it’s the middle of the night and I only got up to pee. But, here is a link to a tutorial explaining how to do it:

http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2014/05/install-ubuntu-1404-alongside-windows.html

Thanks for replying and the information. The more i read the more confused I am and beginning to feel like this is not a easy task for a newbie. Wondering if upgrading to a more current version of Windows might be the easier way to go and just say goodbye to the programs…which I’ve wanted to avoid.

I’ll check out the lnk you provided and maybe this will help with the confusion.

I actually have a full Ubuntu Mate install with a windows 7 virtual machine for the odd time I need to use MS office. It works really well. Certainly better that the other way around. Please see the video below showing my virtual Windows machine being put through its paces.

If you decide to go down this route, then I will be more than happy to guide you step by step in setting up a win 7 VM.

Go on…be daring…!.. :grinning:

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Thanks for the offer with helping me set this up.

Like I said…the more I read the more I confuse myself.

I watched your video and it does seem easy to use.
But you have Win7 running in Ubuntu mate.

I have XP…would the set up be the same.
In your previous reply you said something about slowing down performance. I basically use this pc for the XP programs that are installed on such as Photoshop, Dreamweaver and a few other graphic design programs. I don’t use it for gaming or much of anything else that would slow down the performance. Other than that I used it to go line to take University classes and a few favorite website.

This seems to be the easier way to go.
I will not have access to my pc until after August 2nd so I will hail you down when I return.
Again thans for all your help, information and your offer to help.

Yes, XP is set up the same way on Virtualbox.

XP is even better as it is lighter on resources and so will run not too far off as as fast as it would have if it had been installed on its own. Give me a shout on here when you are ready to install. But, beofre you do, let me know the specs of your machine so I can give you some more definitive advice on your machine’s expected performance with an XP VM.

Here are the specs. Let me know if there is any other information you need.

Windows XP
Dell Inspiron 11520
Intel PentiumDual CPU
[email protected]
0.99 GB of RAM
Free Space: 116GB

Also will I need to back up my computer?
Thanks

With those specs I would think Mate would run fine. However if it did not, there is also Lubuntu to consider for your machine.

As Steve, Mate would be my first choice.

And yes, a backup plan is always a good idea. An install should go smooth, but never know when Murphy’s Law will kick in.

And about install methods. I would not recommend WUBI, it is being phased out and a virtualbox requires more resources than you have. You could dual boot, giving you a choice of which to run, just not both at the same time.

Please post any questions :slight_smile:

What if anything could I do to increase my resources in order to use the Virtualbox as Steve suggested.

Will check out Lubuntu.
Thanks.

I find that Mate will run nicely in virtualbox on 2core and 2G ram.

I should add this is 2core and 2G dedicated to the Mate install. The host system (windows) also need at least this much.

So are you saying that I need to add RAM in order to install Mate and keep XP.

I’ve done that installation on my old desktop but never have open the back of the laptop.

I just did a scan on Crucial.com.
It states Max memory: 4096MB
Slots:2 (2 banks of 1) 2 512MB’s (not to exceed manufacturer’s supported memory.
Store: SATA 2 - 3GB/s with 80% free storage.

Is this what I would need to change in order to run Mate and Windows.

Thanks. Will be back after Aug 2nd.

My recommendation requires a 4core processor.

I have ran Mate on a single core and did not like the performance.

However Lubuntu will run nice on single core and 1G ram (still better with two gig). Which means its doable on your dual core with a ram upgrade of 2G total ram needed (again, better 4G).

Even if you do not end up using vBox, the upgrade is still a good idea.

I have opened up a few laptops. They are a pain. Good luck

Actually, as I look at those specs, I am not 100% certain about performance of a VM. It will certainly run inside Ubuntu mate. But it might be pretty sluggish. This concerns me due to the programs you have listed as wanting to use in XP such as photo-shop and dream-weaver. These can be pretty CPU hungry. Consequently, I am beginning to wonder if, perhaps, it might be better to install them alongside one another.

The good news is, if you do decide to install them alongside one another, you have to install the MS Windows one first and then the Ubuntu Mate one second. So, you have already effectively done half the job simply by having MS Windows already installed.

I am not saying for definite that MS Windows wont run as a VM, I just can’t say for certain how well it will run. So, it’s a choice you will have to make. either way, I will be happy to step you through the process. Though, if you decide to install alongside, you will need access to another machine so i can give you real-time instructions as you go.

Also on a dual boot setup, you can share or sync files between the two.