Need Help Gathering Info to Report 19.04 Upgrade Bugs

Just finished an Ubuntu MATE in place upgrade from 18.10 to 19.04. I had a few bugs pop up after the upgrade, and I would like to help the team by reporting them, but I need help finding the information on these bugs.

1. While doing the upgrade, it complained that there was an issue installing the 5.0 Kernel. However, the upgrade finished, and running "uname -r" returns = "5.0.0-13-generic" Is there a log file some where that I could share with the developers that would help identify exactly what happened during the upgrade?

2. After a fresh boot or after logging into Mate, the I get the following dialog box:
    190419Systemprogramproblem
    I press on button "Report problem..." but nothing seems to happen after that, so I'm unsure what system program is causing the error. I've done a full "apt update && apt upgrade" since the upgrade, and I've done a "apt autoremove" which got ride of 830megs of packages, but this error dialog continues to pop up after 3-5 reboots.

3. Perhaps this is related to #2 but I noticed that the menu fails to display correctly for Caja-Dropbox extension when you first click on it. See the screen shot.190419DropboxCaja
    Subsequent clicks on the icon and the menu appears as expected. I did notice that when I logged out and logged back in instead of doing a full reboot, Caja-Dropbox failed to launch, I had to launch it manually after logging back into the desktop.

Any help in gathering information for these bugs would be appreciated.

Trying to upgrade from 18.10 to 19.04 on my Lenovo Thinkpad T420. Clicked the "Upgrade" button and nothing happens. Installed all updates for 18.10. Thanks.

Mowestusa, am sorry that I can only say "me too." You describe exactly the same symptoms that I have seen today. Environment = UM 18.10 VM on system76 Lemur. VM was created from scratch with stock UM 18.10 ISO and then upgraded to 19.04 thought normal software updater processes.

I did use the system log viewer to look at a kernel.log file that reports some failures.

Are you getting the "System program problem detected" dialog box too?

That one seems to be the biggest bug after the system update, it would be nice to figure out which "system program" is causing this error dialog. If anyone has ideas for figuring out which program is causing this dialog to appear it would helpful in filing a proper bug report.

As I mentioned the 5.0 kernel seems to be working even though the upgrade complained about installing the 5.0 kernel, and I can live with the weird Caja-Dropbox menu behavior, but I would like to get ride of that dialog from popping up after every login.

Actually, having you confirm the same issues is good, because that means the bugs are reproducible.

Perhaps it might be helpful to eliminate the immediate source of the problem. I don't think that this dialog box represents a bug by the way, just an irritating behavior created by Apport which creates crash reports.

In a terminal, enter pkexec caja, enter your password and then navigate to /var/crash/. Select all the files you find in that directory and delete them. Upon your next boot, you shouldn't get this dialog box.

Good luck all.

So about that caja-dropbox issue, what resolution is your screen? Seems like the kind of glitch that would happen on a HiDPI screen, but want to be sure

To clarify, I do see exactly what mowestusa reported originally. I can provide crash dump file later in the day (4.3 MB). BTW screen resolution = 1920x1080. Meanwhile here are excerpts from kernel log.

Apr 20 13:13:31 ubuntumatevm kernel: [ 0.005733] NMI watchdog: Perf event create on CPU 0 failed with -2
. . .
Apr 20 13:13:31 ubuntumatevm kernel: [ 0.013592] acpi PNP0A03:00: _OSC failed (AE_NOT_FOUND); disabling ASPM
Apr 20 13:13:31 ubuntumatevm kernel: [ 0.013597] acpi PNP0A03:00: fail to add MMCONFIG information, can't access extended PCI configuration space under this bridge.
. . .
Apr 20 13:18:10 ubuntumatevm kernel: [ 0.005597] NMI watchdog: Perf event create on CPU 0 failed with -2
. . .
Apr 20 13:18:10 ubuntumatevm kernel: [ 0.013050] acpi PNP0A03:00: _OSC failed (AE_NOT_FOUND); disabling ASPM
Apr 20 13:18:10 ubuntumatevm kernel: [ 0.013055] acpi PNP0A03:00: fail to add MMCONFIG information, can't access extended PCI configuration space under this bridge.
. . .
Apr 20 13:33:45 ubuntumatevm kernel: [ 0.044027] acpi PNP0A03:00: fail to add MMCONFIG information, can't access extended PCI configuration space under this bridge.
. . .
Apr 20 13:34:48 ubuntumatevm kernel: [ 0.040405] acpi PNP0A03:00: fail to add MMCONFIG information, can't access extended PCI configuration space under this bridge.

Thanks @mdooley your solution fixed the "System program problem detected" dialog box. Thank you so much. It looked like the crash was what happened during the upgrade because the title was related to the crash reported concerning the install of the 5.0 kernel. I'm so glad to be rid of that dialog, but not sure why the upgrade crashed on the install of the 5.0 kernel, but seems to be running it fine. This has now occurred on both of my older laptops that I upgraded from 18.10 to 19.04.

@vkareh nope, neither of my laptops are hidpi. This one which also has the Caja-Dropbox menu issue too is 1280x800 and I think the one in my office at work is 1366 x 768. As mentioned the menu is cut off on both computers when I click on the icon for the first time, but displays normally when I click on the icon a second time.

i have the same issue too

Okay, this is good to know. I did experience this for the first time on Ubuntu MATE 19.04, and not before nor on other distros (I have caja-dropbox running on Fedora 29 freshly compiled from master and have not seen this behavior)

Is there a bug filed for this on Launchpad and/or GitHub? Would be a good starting point to getting it fixed

Done, I posted a bug report on Launchpad.

1 Like