Need some help with a compiz menu shadows

I’ve been using Compiz for about a week now. Have tried it before now, but on my machine has always been a bit flakey. but, it seems to be more stable this time around. Also, i really like the new compiz reset button in mate tweak, by the way, Martin. Thanks for that. A really nice feature.

However, one issue remains for me. In Marco, I always had compositing enabled and this gave me nice drop shadows on both the windows and also on all drop-down menus including the mate panels and their attendant menus. But, when using Compiz, although the windows have drop-shadows, none of the menus or main panels do. Does anybody know how to enable them in Compiz? I should say, I have Compiz-Config-Settings-Manager installed. But cannot figure out how to reinstate the menu and panel drop shadows.

Any advice gratefully received.

No idea, sorry :cry: I’ll be interested in anyone else figuring it out.

Makes no difference at all I am afraid

See below:

As you can see, the drop shadow is present for the open window, but absent for both the menu and also the panels.

Apologies - it seems the above 'advice' was completely useless - i'll remove it!

further experimentation reveals that the panel and menu shadow is controlled by the inactive shadow setting in compizConfig (at least for me on 15.04!) - as shown by the blue colour in the screenie below.

1 Like

Sorted!

Panels have got drop shadows too

Cheers mate!

happy to help :relaxed:

always happy to tweak a few settings to see what happens! :bomb:

Does this introduce much lag displaying the menus? If not I’ll add this to the default profile :slight_smile:

It adds no discernible lag at all on my machine Martin.

1 Like

I think the shadows were always there - the default setting just made them practically invisible.

1 Like

For reference, Martin, here is a screen-shot of my current settings which are working fine:

you can revert the ‘shadow windows’ box back to ‘any’, as ‘any’ includes the panel.

ah…right…will do

You might be interested in this? :wink:

1 Like

The shadows were on for Compiz loaded via Unity repo and from your initial test load of Compiz. Always had them on, and no issue.

Talking of switchers, a nice but well hidden option to switch with the mouse:

Viewport Switcher > Desktop-based Viewport Switching tab > set both Move Next to Button5 & Move Prev to Button4. You’ll need to click Enabled before the various options including ButtonN appear.

Then place mouse on any part of clear desktop and scroll mouse wheel. Up for previous, down for next - with wrap-around.

Really quick way to switch when eg copy-n-pasting between geany or meld on different viewports.

I didn’t realise we were talking of switchers!

But it’s a nice little trick anyway - thanks for sharing.

You can also do the same thing within bindings of the ‘desktop wall’ plugin