Need to view on flat screen TV

Hi, have installed mate on desktop and connected it to flat screen TV. The resolution however isn't supported. The top and bottom menu bars bleed off the screen. Is there a way to resolve this?

Thanks

You most likely need to fix this with the picture size setting on your TV. The native or equivalent setting typically works best.

Some flat TVs have picture sizing options hidden in the menus, but they're a PITA to find if you don't have the remote (guess how I know this!). A TV that includes VGA, DVI or HDMI inputs gets you off to a better start. TVs up to about 19" are almost abundant on free recycling - most are free, but you have to go collect it.

Thank you all for your feedback. Much appreciated

xrandr should help get you up and running. How I usually do it is I punch in the resolution using cvt and get a modeline setting I can add with xrandr. Example on my laptop;

:heavy_dollar_sign: SImulated x-terminal-emulator user-initiated routine for adding a display setting using cvt and xrandr:

$ cvt 1920 1080 60 | grep Modeline | cut -c 10-
"1920x1080_60.00"  173.00  1920 2048 2248 2576  1080 1083 1088 1120 -hsync +vsync
$ xrandr --newmode "1920x1080_60.00"  173.00  1920 2048 2248 2576  1080 1083 1088 1120 -hsync +vsync
$ xrandr --addmode HDMI-0 1920x1080_60.00
Bonus brownies: Expand for command info In the above, I exhibited use of pipes to limit the range of information shown. An explanation of what's going on here for complete newbies:

cvt does what the heading shown for its man page says: calculate VESA CVT mode lines. Using this command, finding the mode specifications xrandr needs is fairly simple, but it comes with a bunch of other junk, so...

grep is used for pattern searching. In this instance, I wanted to cut out the first bit of text cvt normally generates. So I specify for it to show only the modeline, which does show the modeline. To clean up the output further...

cut is used so I can remove the first nine characters. As shown, -c is used to remove characters, with the range 10- (the first ten characters, including the carriage return) used so the Modeline text is removed.

Now mind, HDMI-0 was only an example. To see all available outputs, have them connected and perform xrandr by itself. It should list everything you need to know, if your kernel can see the device connected to it. If you get no joy, assistance with that is outside the scope of this post.

After all of that, I can go to my display settings and define it. If mate-display-properties crashes, try a solution like arandr;

:heavy_dollar_sign: In x-terminal-emulator:

sudo apt install -y arandr

It won't help you add settings, but it will help you apply them.

Will give that a go thank you very much for the feedback