Nemo- advice needed

Someone said Nemo is better than thunar.

Anyone use it ?

Is it compatible with UM?

Thanks.

It all depends on the user- some users might find Nemo with functionalities that they don’t get out of Caja.

Back when I started using Linux in 2016, I started with Linux Mint. So yes I used Nemo there, but here on UM Caja seems to work fine for me…

If you’re set on giving it a try, look through this thread here.

But since Caja is an integral part of MATE, you shouldn’t expect to get everything out of it; some settings can’t be altered…

Good luck!:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree with Apollonius, it is purely a matter of taste which one you choose. I installed Thunar and Nemo for testing but I did not really noticed many differences. I am absolutely confident with Caja expect one issue. When I want to move a file to another directory through multiple directories it is not user-friendly because when you hover the file over a folder you want to go through also after few seconds Caja does not switch in the directory and shows its content like the destination folder.

Mickey :relaxed:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback.

I will stick with Thunar as my main FM.

I used Xubuntu for a couple years, and it has Thunar as its file manager. I like Caja a lot better because it remembers per-directory sort and view settings. Thunar doesn’t (or at least didn’t as of Xubuntu 16.04).

I just checked.

Thunar remembered my sorts.

One reason I do not like Caja, is that you can’t copy the address of the directory you are in like Thunar can.

Thunar is under constant revisions.

https://forum.xfce.org/

How to copy the folder currently open in Caja:

• open Caja
  • click on the pencil icon
  • select the content of the Location field
  • right-click on selected text and select Copy from the context menu

Quite simple, I would say.

Edit: And by the way, Caja remembers my sorting options for ALL the folders.

1 Like

You can also just press “/” while Caja is active to get the text-based location bar.

1 Like

Thanks.

Learned another new thing.

I don’t have anything against Caja.

It’s that I have spent so much time learning Thunar, that I don’t want to have to learn another file manager.

Unless Caja has some great features that Thunar does not. :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t. That advice was written before massive changes in Nemo made it more difficult to integrate into a more traditional GTK2-like environment.

2 Likes

Tabbed directory browsing? Split directory viewing? The possibility of including a terminal inside of Caja rather than using a separate terminal emulator?

1 Like

Boy, its a pretty involved procedure to install properly.