New SSD, want "Clean" version of Ubuntu Mate

Hey, have Ubuntu 16.04 which i’ve added MATE 1,16.1 desktop (6 months) and converted from there .

Have new SSD (128 gb) that I would like to “clean” install Ubuntu Mate ,rather than over Unity.

I watch you guys talk about “clean” Mate , fail to find any info for my level,

Can I just unplug my other HDD’s and install from ISO { (clean) when I find one} and move stuff from other drives to it ?

Thanks’ for any help or directions,

Generally, when people talk about a “clean” install, they mean installing (in this case) an operating system and starting from scratch, aka a “fresh install” or “new install”.

So yes, simply replacing all your HDDs with your new SSD and installing Ubuntu MATE 16.04.2 (or 16.10) on it should get you your desired results.

Just make sure to backup your important files from the HDDs first, in case anything goes wrong (even though you just plan on replacing them)

I also recommend using the HDDs as additional storage space for your PC if you have no other plans for them (like on mine, I have an entire HDD dedicated to my /home directory)

I hope this helps, and good luck with the install!

2 Likes

Re. Flamestar, thanks’ ,
I am used to messing up a bit and starting from scratch,
the main thought is - can I do a new 16.04- ubuntu w/ 1.6.1 Mate on my new and bring any files/stuff to it later, like get a fresh start and plug (partitions& stuff ) after the fact ?
Dreaming I guess:
Done this a few times(Ubuntu w/ Unity) but would like to see a “True Ubuntu Mate” version , - if that makes sense
Thank’ Flamestar

Sorry, before I install this with 16.04 , not 17—,
Just thinking unplug all my drives , plug the new SSd and do some how a “clean” install on an empty drive and possibly plug my other ones after and upload what I want from them and then re-format them ?
I have about 9 % of all drives in use,
Looking for a " how" also on guess ISO on Ubuntu MATE, ,
sounded simple , sorry,
any help, wisful , Thanks’

Yup, thats kinda what thinking,
Thank you Flamestar

As far as a “True Ubuntu MATE version” goes, that should essentially just be Ubuntu MATE, which comes with the MATE desktop instead of Unity.

Just head over to https://ubuntu-mate.org/download, select the version and architecture you would like, burn the ISO to a CD/DVD or flash it to a USB stick, and install it on your new SSD.

Afterwards, to update MATE to the latest Xenial supported version, run (one line at a time)
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/xenial-mate sudo apt update sudo apt full-upgrade reboot
in a terminal, and after your machine reboots, you should have the latest Xenial supported version of MATE.

I hope that this helps!

(P.S. a “clean” install is simply installing an OS and starting over)

2 Likes

Specifically, what we usually mean by “clean install” is installing from the .iso image file, instead of for instance doing an upgrade from an earlier Ubuntu MATE version. The ISO is then burned onto a DVD or an USB stick and we use that to perform the installation, wiping the drive during the installation process.

2 Likes

Did this exact thing with my laptop a few months ago, I set up a bootable usb thumb drive with Ubuntu Mate on it, then removed and replaced the old hard drive in my laptop with a new SSD, then booted from the thumb drive to install Ubuntu Mate. You may need to go into your computer’s bios and enable booting from USB first.

At the same time I bought the SSD I also bought a 2.5" external drive enclosure for the old laptop hard drive thinking that I could then just plug it into a usb port to retrieve files later. It was also my safety net, I could re-install the hard drive into the laptop to go back to windows. On my first attempt at that, the external drive was unreadable. Come to find out that when you shut down windows 10, it actually does something called a hybrid shutdown so that you can resume faster at your next boot. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7418-shut-down-computer-windows-10-a.html
I ended up doing “horrible” things to get that drive readable, but I won’t be able to boot from it again without repairing the installation.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s usually called “hibernating”.
One of the things to watch out for when using Windows.

Actual shutdown is done by (I’m not kidding) opening a command prompt and typing:

shutdown /t 0

Yeah, except actual hibernating would restore your apps as well, while the hybrid shutdown closes your apps.

I have yet to get a SSD, maybe I should. Looks like a easy install.

SSD Install

Yeah, and on this old laptop I’m 15 seconds from cold hardware to a working desktop including typing password and pressing enter. SSD is frankly the best investment I’ve ever made in computer parts.

3 Likes