New to Mate and I like it

I have two HDD’s on my PC. One contains only Windows 7 and the other has two Linux Distros. My primary Distro is KDE, as I like it the most. I was using Mint 17.3, but have changed to Neon LTS.

The second partition I use for trying new Distros. I have installed Mate 16.04.2 LTS and I really like it. The only major problem I had was, taking ownership of my windows partitions. I could not change them from root to me. After a lot of Googling, I found the answer, by modifying /etc/fstab

I had tried Solus Budgie, but that was a disaster. UM has all the tools of Ubuntu, which I am familiar with from both Mint and Neon, so I feel right at home. I learnt a long time ago to make disk images before changing things, and this has been a blessing as I mucked up UM while learning to drive it.

I am no Linux expert or geek, and in my mid-sixties, so learning new things takes me a bit longer nowadays. From what I have seen so far, UM will be staying on my HDD as my secondary Linux Distro. It is a polished Distro that is a pleasure to use. I think I will have fun exploring what it can do.

7 Likes

Welcome Cobber, coming from Ubuntu based distros you will probably find UM a quick learn as the environment is very intuitive. Enjoy :slight_smile:

Thanks. I have had to restore Mint 17.3 as my main Distro. But still keeping UM.

I was using the Neon User version, but the constant updates were causing me problems, so I moved to the LTS version.

Today it upgraded to 5.8.6 and Grub could no longer see UM. I spent hours doing restores and boot repairs, but there’s something wrong with the update.

I am tired of fighting Plasma 5 and am going to stay with KDE4 for a while longer. There’s just too many bugs with point updates.