New Ubuntu MATE Theme

It’s worth noting that Ubuntu 18.04 will be shipping with a new very slick GTK theme (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/02/install-the-new-ubuntu-theme) but as of yet (as far as I know) we will be sticking with relatively outdated green-ified Ambiance. Are we going to undergo a visual change as well? Because I’m suggesting so.

1 Like

I agree that the new shell, GTK and icon themes look amazing. Ubuntu seems to be contributing to a better GNOME. The daily builds run better than Fedora on my X220!

Anyway, I’m reading that among the Ubuntu MATE objectives are to

use themes and artwork similar to Ubuntu so that Ubuntu MATE is immediately familiar.

I guess that could also be achieved by leaving it as it is for awhile. I’m sure we’ll find out what’s on the roadmap soon enough.

2 Likes

Yeah, it would be quite nice to have an additional UM theme that was based on the main Ubuntu theme, so as to encourage standard Ubuntu Users to consider using UM.

Just so long as the main UM green theme remains as the default cos I love the existing UM default theme…:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi all. I'm new to the forums but have been using Ubuntu MATE for a while and would like to contribute.

This topic got me excited since I've already been working on some of this for my personal setup.

I've came up with a script using git and imagemagick that adapts Suru from git to Ubuntu MATE ala "Suru-MATE" on my github.

Let me know what yall think.

https://github.com/willscreel/Suru-MATE

4 Likes

That’s great!

I think if you could adapt to not only be an icon theme but a GTK theme as well, you could contact Wimpy himself about it

The new Ubuntu mainline themes are a fast moving target. That’s mainly why it’s just a script so it can sync up with their work. Might be kind of hard to land in an LTS but could be great for the community to use after the fact.

I’ll probably keep plugging away with it in the evenings after my day job. The icons were the lowest hanging fruit. Communitetheme doesn’t have any Metacity assets so a gnome session would probably have to be run to see how gnome-shell is interpreting all that for window decs.

I did try the gtk2 and 3 themes out from Communitetheme and they seem to have a lot of potential. But there are many lines of css to digest.

I’ll keep an eye on this thread in case someone else comes up with something and we don’t duplicate our efforts.

2 Likes

Same concept, I put together a script and set of patches to start adapting the GTK2 & 3 parts of Communitheme to Ubuntu MATE. It'd be a lot easier to just fork it and work on it via git but they are really making a lot of changes upstream. At least this way I can just overlay changes as I pull in theirs.

As you can see most applications are starting to meld. The stuff that requires assets like the panel are next. Then we'll have to see about the window decorations, which are lower hanging fruit but will probably have to be made from scratch since there is no Metacity/Marco assets to speak of.

https://github.com/willscreel/Communitheme-MATE

1 Like

Superawesome work! i hope it will be standard icons in UbuntuMATE 18.04

1 Like

I vote for minimal UI changes out of the box.

I want better code under the hood and more recent versions of apps. But when it comes to the “look and feel” all I can say is “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” and “different is not better, better is better, but there is precious little of that in new UI designs”.

Its great that you can “customize” things to the point of uselessness but leave well enough alone for those of us that want to use just our systems instead of futzing with them!

2 Likes

It’s just an updated theme, no one’s advocating crazy ui changes

I understand that over the past few releases, the incremental changes to the default theme have only been beneficial. Though I also can't resist not using it because of the overwhelming choice we are blessed with. So any additional community effort is more than welcome!

Now can anyone please help me with the brightness icon never changing from the default no matter what theme I use, unlike the volume icon which does change?

image from google