Hi all.

I have a small problem.

When my system boots it says

SDA6_crypt : ignoring unknown option " nofail "

Where can I find this????

Thanks

Please show us the contents of your /etc/fstab file:

cat /etc/fstab

:warning: NOTE: When you paste the contents of that file here, please then select the pasted text and click the </> button above. Doing so makes the text way, way easier for us to read. (You may already have known this, but many people do not, even fairly senior users.)

1 Like

$ cat /etc/fstab

UUID=3ed6d582-9cbb-451c-ad55-1d9caa08d11b / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
UUID=77248165-10d0-492f-849c-61f7f7cbf76e /boot ext4 defaults 0 2
UUID=2717-4AF1 /boot/efi vfat umask=0077 0 1
/dev/mapper/vgubuntu--mate-swap_1 none swap sw 0 0
/

OK, now run:

sudo journalctl | grep -C 50 'nofail'

Paste that into a post here -- and this time, please select the pasted text and click the </> button above the post editor.

Thanks Gordon but that command didn't return anything.

Nothing! How strange. I guess that means this is an initrd, or early boot process, issue.

Do you think you could take a photograph, for example, of the screen at the moment that message appears? That could be helpful.

A quick Google search yielded this topic for Linux Mint:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=325638

Reading more into the issue, it appears that the issue either hasn't been fixed yet (because it's a harmless message?), or maybe it's been fixed in a newer release of Ubuntu MATE but you'd have to upgrade. What version are you on? 20.04?

If it's an LTS release, I'd personally suggest not upgrading just because of this, especially since we don't know if upgrading would do the trick; but it's your call.

Thanks Gordon. Yes Im on 20.04 and I won't be upgrading just yet.