No dual boot, no sound since Mantic upgrade

Hi,
Just upgraded from Lunar Lobster to Mantic Minotaur and now my dual-boot options don't show on start-up.
I get a blank grey box for a few seconds then Ubuntu loads automatically.

Anyone have any idea how this could be solved before i have to roll-back to Lobster?

Thanks

(My original post also mentioned i had no sound which i've subsequently fixed by re-selecting 'buit-in audio..' in Sound preferences>Output)

I also got a gray box for my GRUB boot menu after upgrading to Mantic Minotaur. Next boot, while the gray box is displaying, hit the right shift key. Your old dual boot menu should be there.
Hope that helps

3 Likes

Perhaps os-prober is disabled, so that Grub does not know your dual boot. I suggest the following

1. Open /etc/default/grub as an administrator
  2. Suppress the # of the line
    #GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false
  3. In the terminal,
    sudo os-prober
    and then,
    sudo grub-update
  4. Restart the computer
    (Ref. https://www.malekal.com/grub-ne-trouve-pas-windows-ajouter-menu-windows-grub/ )
2 Likes

It looks like step 3 should be 'sudo update-grub' rather than 'sudo grub-update' according to the grub file.
These steps haven't solved the issue for me unfortunately.

As jmarkus pointed out, right shift key does reveal the menu so maybe this is a querky feature rather than a bug.

Thanks both for the help.

Am I right that your system recognizes and supports your dual boot but that your menu just doesn't show up ?

To prevent the necessity to hit the shift key and show the bootmenu by default, you could change '/etc/default/grub' like this:

change
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
to

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu

change
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
in

GRUB_TIMEOUT=10

save, exit and do:

sudo update-grub
4 Likes

Thanks thom. When I had the grayed out Grub boot menu - I remembered something about the shift key toggle, but never properly fixed it. All fixed now - thanks to you.
Jim

3 Likes

Thanks, yep that fixed it!

3 Likes