No password == no updates 18.04

I created a problem for myself when I did a fresh install of 18.04 on new machine I opted for no password and auto login.

Updates require a password and some things I need to run as SUDO require one. Like “sudo apt install libdvdcss2” to fix the broken VLC.

How do I “get” the system to recognize a password now?

Thanks, Fred

1 Like

boot your system (hold SHIFT) and select recovery on the grub menu, then select root shell access. your prompt should have # Now, mount -o rw,remount / for your disk to be RW, then type passwd fey42 and give it a pw. After success, type exit, system should reboot and user fey42 should have a pw.

Thanks @pavlos_kairis I now have a password and I can finish some tasks. It took a few extra screens, but it worked.

Cheers, Fred

1 Like

Fred, you might consider using the following -

sudo apt install libdvd-pkg and then
sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg

These commands allow ripping and playing of DVDs. Your VLC will thank you for it.

If you installed your system with no password to log in, you can go back to settings and re-enable the password requirement. The interesting thing is, even though you re-enable the password requirement, you are not prompted to enter a password at login. Not sure if this is an over-site or what. But with this configuration you can log in without a password but have one when needed to install software or lock screen.

BTW…Deleting the lightdm.conf file did force to use a password to log in which was my goal.

@mdooley

You recommend I try these two commands to get the VLC up and running.
I tried and the first one was successful, the second error out with an in use message, told me to do this and that and then stopped.

Here is one of the messages:
fred@Fred-UM:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg
[sudo] password for fred:
debconf: DbDriver “config”: /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
fred@Fred-UM:~$

Just tried to uninstall VLC and that crashed.

Next tried this:

fred@Fred-UM:~$ sudo snap list vlc
[sudo] password for fred:
error: no matching snaps installed
fred@Fred-UM:~$ sudo snap install vlc
vlc 3.0.4 from VideoLAN✓ installed
Name Version Rev Tracking Publisher Notes
vlc 3.0.4 555 stable videolan✓ -
fred@Fred-UM:~$

Should I uninstall and start all over bbeing more prudent in tracking all the messages.
Getting nowhere fast, any more ideas?
Thanks, Fred

Does VLC launch after all of the forgoing? What specifically is your VLC problem at this point?

VLC launches, it knows there is a DVD in the drive.
But when I hit play it just flashes the title on the top bar.

Just ripped a CD with Asunder, hit play and VLC opened it and started playing.

Thanks

If there are any more problems with VLC, you might try this page -

Good luck Fred.

Need it. Off to itsfoss :slight_smile:

Interesting aside.

VLC is only having problems on the original disk.
I ripped the DVD with Handbrake and it played in VLC
The same for the audio CD, once ripped, VLC played it.

Off to Its Floss

Check the region code of the dvd player.

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/video-dvd.html.en

At last I think this is it.

DOES NOT WORK

DOES WORK

Installed this last night as a snap package
fred@Fred-UM:~$ sudo snap install vlc
vlc 3.0.4 from VideoLAN✓ installed
Name Version Rev Tracking Publisher Notes
vlc 3.0.4 555 stable videolan✓ -

Now my minor concern is how to dump the first package and remove the double listing in the Sound & Video drop down.

Tis solved, twas all VLC as I suspected.
The whole ubuntu world needs to know this.
Also Whimpy needs to know this to get it into the release.
Last I did all updates and VLC was not updated to the 3.0.4 55, which indicates another problem

Using your example, I installed the VLC snap package. Like you I have a double listing in Applications> Sound & Video so (in order to deal with this) I right clicked on the far left menu icon (opening mozo, the menu editor) and selected “Edit Menus”. I went to the double listing and edited the properties for the second VLC icon and changed its’ name to ‘VLC snap’.

If you need to dump the original VLC, you can simply uncheck it from displaying in the Sound & Video menu or use Synaptic package manager and Mark for Complete Removal from your installed software list.

Both versions of VLC work to view local and remote rips on my upstairs laptop. Perhaps VLC 3.04 vetinari will be more to my liking as far as using Alt-4 to reliably double the movie view. We’ll see… It’s a minor thing.

Thanks Fred.

Hi Michael, what does the phrase mean?

I followed your instructions and removed 3.0.3. As in Windows there are so many hidden tools just waiting to be discovered.

I’m curious why didn’t Synaptic show any 3.0.4 VLC entries?

Thanks for all the help. Fred

When first opening VLC, one can zoom out by (supposedly) twice the original size. See Video> Zoom> 2:1 Double. Alt-4 is the keyboard shortcut. My zooms in 3.03 have been less than stellar often showing black bars to both sides. Then I resort to manual resizing until I have a nice window.

Synaptic doesn’t display software installed via snaps, flatpacks or any other new installation flavor. Synaptic just deals in apt stuff which has been typically found in .deb packages.

That is what I assumed, just wanted to verify it. So to delete a snap I need to use the terminal right?

I did a quick look in VLC and didn’t see the Alt-4, thanks.

Terminal command, yes.

Alt-4, Fred, just try it.

Jaybo I have tried Users and Groups, Login Windows, and About Me in the control panel etc. but all require me to have my password. Where do I access this settings manager that you are referring to? Thanks in advance for any help.

I am not sure what you are asking. I was in System/Administration/Users & Groups/User Profile… Yes you need a password to change any setting. My comment earlier was commenting how my setting was changed to force a password entry at log-in, but I never was prompted for a password at log-in until I deleted the lightdm.conf file.