No splash screen - a bug or a feature?

Hi everyone! :slight_smile:
I think I probably have a problem. During startup of my notebook there is no splash screen at all (I mean Ubuntu MATE logo). There is only a gray background with darker borders, and after this LightDM appears. Is it normal? When I was using other distros their logos were there.
During shutdown I see a logo of Ubuntu MATE with five dots below it.

By splash screen - if you mean grub hold the shift key down

Same on Virtual Machine here but on real hard drive (tested on my Asus’s wife), Plymouth show up with Ubuntu Mate logo …
Is that a SSD you’ve got on this computer ?
Try hold escap while starting ?

It’s more of a quirk. Depends on a few factors, like:

• BIOS or UEFI mode.
  • Graphics – VirtualBox and some proprietary drivers cause the text version to appear… or not at all.
  • After the kernel is loaded (the grey screen), the rest of the boot is completed in seconds.

I think the splash screen appears too late into the boot sequence, which is why it comes and goes too quickly.

If any one knows a way to “fix” this, please share. :slight_smile:

I already gave you my GTK3 rant. I may not like it, but I understand why MATE is moving in that direction.

I never understood why Plymouth was introduced in Ubuntu.

Usplash was working all the time with every possible driver. Plymouth works sometimes. And it flickers and mode-changes just as much as Usplash did. Plymouth gives a bad first impression of Linux. Especially in Ubuntu-based distros Plymouth seems fragile.

I was trying to fix Plymouth in Ubuntu 10.04 and newer. I soon gave up because it was a lot of work for very little gain.

A positive sidenote: I have never been as happy with Linux as I am with my current UM 14.04 install.

1 Like

Hi,

have you done a full system update which might solve the problem?:

1 Like

This fixed the same issue for me try it…http://askubuntu.com/questions/149632/ubuntu-no-boot-logo

2 Likes