No virtual consoles available on Ubuntu Mate 16.04

I recently installed Ubuntu Mate 16.04 on my ham shack computer. As that computer does not have a DVD drive, only a CD drive, I did a network install. Everything seems good, except that there are no virtual consoles. Ctrl-Alt-1 through Ctrl-Alt-6 bring up only a blank screen, with no login. All of the other 'buntus I’ve used provide these. This is an ancient Compaq Deskpro EN (which just barely makes the minimum hardware requirements) with an Nvidia Riva 128 video card. Any tips on getting the virtual consoles working? I’ve got a couple of contest logging programs which run better on a virtual console than in a terminal, and I’d like to be able to use them that way.

You’re referring to the live session right?

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘live session’.

I’ve managed to get this fixed. I found that hitting Ctrl-Alt-1 through Ctrl-Alt-6 did bring up the appropriate agetty (for tty1 through tty6), so this isn’t a problem of the login not launching, it’s a display problem.

Going on that, I uncommented the ‘GRUB_TERMINAL=console’ line in /etc/default/grub, and ran update-grub. After the next boot, Ctrl-Alt-1 properly brought up a login screen, though I noticed that I got an ‘error: no video mode activated’ message instead of the grub menu. A bit of googling on that suggested commenting out the ‘GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0’ and ‘GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true’ lines in /etc/default/grub and re-running update-grub. That did it. I get a text-mode grub menu on boot, and Ctrl-Alt-1 through Ctrl-Alt-6 bring up the appropriate virtual consoles (though, strangely enough, they show up in amber. Makes it look like you’re on one of the old amber screen terminals).