No warning when closing a terminal with a running process? (16.10)

On 16.10 I’ve noticed that there’s no warning when I close a terminal window (or tab) with a running process. For example, run top and then close the window — it just closes.

I installed and ran gnome-terminal and again started top. When I try to close the window it opens a dialog warning about killing the process: “Close this terminal? / There is still a process running in this terminal. Closing the terminal will kill it.”

I made a new user to make sure it wasn’t a setting I messed up, but it’s the same. Again, this is on 16.10. I can test 16.04 at work tomorrow.

Can anyone confirm this before I report the bug?

2 Likes

Hi @elcste, good find. I can confirm exactly what you describe and it seems to be 16.10 exclusive. I tried 16.04 both with and without the Mate PPA. I also find Alt+F4 behaves same as closing the window.

The process does get killed, even when truly background like sleep 60 & as an example. So it seems to strictly be a missing warning dialog.

EDIT: An interesting find. A background process whether it be sleep 60 & or even vlc & will get killed with window close or Alt+F4 but NOT with typing exit or my usual Ctrl+D (which I think are functionally the same).

4 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation. I reported the bug for Ubuntu MATE on Launchpad and upstream at Github.

3 Likes

I guess I didn’t look enough through the closed issues on Github.

monsta commented on the issue I reported:

Reported at #149 and fixed.

We will release a new 1.16.x version with the fix soon.

1 Like

It was another regression after porting mate-terminal to GTK+3 in version 1.16.0. Now it’s fixed in 1.18.0 (in Ubuntu 17.04) and 1.16.2 (not in Ubuntu 16.10 yet). Well, it’s up to @Wimpy now… :slight_smile:

1 Like