Not able to boot with LiveUSB of Mate 18.04

This is not a bug report – as others are able to boot using the Beta without issues …

I’m running both Ubuntu 17.10 Mate 64-bit and Mint 18.3 64-bit on my desktop, so I thought it would be no problems to create boot media using the current 18.04 Mate and boot from that to check it out – but that is not happening.

When I boot from the USB stick, I get the MATE symbol, the dots, the screen clears, I get a brief flash of text (too fast to read) and then a black screen with a mouse cursor.

I read a thread on the Ubuntu forums about 18.04 taking several minutes to boot – but I waited ten minutes and still just a mouse cursor.

So, I though I would try various kernel parms using the following process …

Pressing SHIFT while booting brings up a menu, then pressing F6 opens up an editor on the kernel parms line.

I tried selecting only NOMODESET – same result

In desperation, I also tried acpi_os-Linux and acpi_backlight=vendor – same result

I am running an AMD R7 240 video card and it works fine in Ubuntu Mate 17.10 and Mint 18.3 – but that is an older kernel version because I think it’s based off 17.04, not 17.10.

My guess is that Wayland is being used to boot instead of Xorg – but the workaround I found involved editing a conf file that is not present on the boot USB filesystem, so I don’t know how to work around this problem.

And, I ran the sha256sum cmd and confirmed the checksum of the ISO download.

Anything I can try (other than waiting for the release?)

Hi Mark,

it isn't Wayland as UM isn't using it afaik?.

I assume you have a stand-alone PC?, if you do, when starting the Live Cd, press any key when you see the following symbol:

Then press F6 and select "nomodeset" from the list and try booting with that setting:

I hope it helps!. :smiley:

I mentioned that I tried selecting nomodeset …

I also mentioned trying other kernel parms – with no success

I don’t know what else to try

I can really only suggest you download the latest daily build and see if the problem is still there?.

There have been a lot of updates in the last few days!:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mate/daily-live/current/HEADER.html :smiley:

Great – thanks! I will give that a try and bookmark that link.

OK, so I downloaded the current daily build, created a USB stick of that, booted with it – and got a desktop!

How do I mark this thread as solved?

1 Like