NTFS - Data drive - No Write permission

Hello Ubuntu Mate crew,
I am a total newbee to Ubuntu and choose for Ubuntu Mate as my best option.

Running

• Windows 10 on a ssd,
  • Ubuntu Mate on a second ssd,
  • data on a ‘regular’ hard drive on NTFS.

I think I am not officially dualbooting, as the operating systems have been installed totally separate. Still I can choose my operating system by pressing F8 at boot (Asus mb) or from the bootmanager from Ubuntu.

Untill now I am happy as most things seem to work fine, just out of the box!

Only thing that is not working is the access to my data drive. I can access it, but it is read only. I can NOT make folders or save files. This is necessary for me in the transition fase, I can access the work I do from both operating systems.

I have seen a few solutions on the internet, but they were old, for an other distro or seem to be a bit different scenarios. So to be sure, I ask you guys before I make a mess of it:

• How can I get both read and write permissions on my NTFS drive. I have now only read permission.

are you only having this problem when using UM to access your data drive? Or is it happening with both UM and MS?

How can I get both read and write permissions on my NTFS drive. I have now only read permission.[/quote]Going to assume the problem is read/write to the NTFS drive in Linux.

Could you drop into a terminal for me and do the following:

dpkg -l | grep -i ntfs

We’re looking to see if the ntfs-3g package is installed. It should be but it might not be, for some reason or another. ntfs-3g is the NTFS read/write driver for Linux.

Windows 8 and 10 don’t shut down completely when you choose Shut Down, they hibernate some parts to speed boot up. This includes not unmounting the disk.

I believe the option you need to change is called Fast Boot. You need to disable it in your computer’s BIOS settings.

1 Like

When in W10 there is no prob with the NTFS data drive.
When in UM I can read the data drive, but I cant write to it.

I did the command in the terminal and got a lengthy reply. It starts with:
ii libntfs-3g871
amd64 read/write NTFS driver for FUSE (Runtime Library)
ii ntfs-3g
** etcetera

Does this mean that the NTFS package is installed?

[quote=“JRuiter, post:6, topic:13420”]Does this mean that the NTFS package is installed?[/quote]Yes, it is installed.

Did you read this reply?

I read it and was just checking it. Some time ago I had already stopped the fast-boot for some reason.

Just today I had a major update from Windows in which they had set it back to fast-boot ! (Apparently they removed the Control Panel from the menu also ! )

After fast boot was stopped again the data drive was accessible and changeable again !!
So, PROBLEM SOLVED !!
Thanks a lot guys!

1 Like