Nvidia issues, small fonts?

Ever since the 375.39 driver update the desktop has been messed up, all fonts are tiny? I have tried installing the unofficial 381 driver, which claims to fix, it does not. Others have said turn off Compiz, does not work, uncheck fading windows, no go....
Seem to have to revert to Nouveau, which is not as good for gaming, any one know of an actual real fix?
I am using 16.04 & 17.04 both are affected, was not an issue with 361.42

Does a downgrade of the driver back to the previous one revert the problem?

I can not seem to get it back to 361.42 successfully, I think they have all been updated with bug, as even 381 is messed up

Have a great day… unless you’ve made other plans !

Do you still have 361.42 as a package in your apt cache?

Packages all seem to be purely transitional, so i guess not. The only driver that seems to function correctly is the Nouveau, even the 340 is yakked up

Can you install this one?

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/101423/en-us

What is the recommended method for such an install? Thanks

I guess that in this case you need to make the .run executable and run it from the terminal.

Can you explain how? And how do I remove the current Nvidia drivers, and do i need to remove Xorg also?
I am surprised i am seeing no other posts with regard to this issue, it has happened on all 3 of my UB Mate installs with Nvidia cards…

And Thanks for your help!!

You’re right. I would probably uninstall the other driver first. Do you know its package name to do apt remove nvidia-driver where you replace nvidia-driver with the actual name of the package?

Then you can use chmod +x name.run to make this file executable. Now you should be able to open it from the command line with ./name.run.

Been a week or so, been trying all kinds of drivers, no luck at all on 16.04/17.04, Nouveau drivers no issue at all, seems to be an acknowledged issue with Nvidia upgrade.
Weirdly, I installed Linux light 3.4 on a separate HDD, no issue at with XFCE, 381.22 fine, no font rendering issues at all, tried all the available Nvidia drivers, so maybe this is a Mate DE thing?

Can anyone point me to directions on how to remove & install specific Nvidia drivers, 361.42 was last one that worked no issue for me, am at a loss how to address issues but Nouveu does not game as well, otherwise I’m forced to switch to XFCE, sad!

On NVidia’s own site the closest I could find were two variants of 361.45 (via https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us), not sure if those will work for you, though.

That’s a standalone installer, so remove any nvidia-whatever packages via apt uninstall PACKAGENAME first, then run NVidia’s installer.
I have to admit, I haven’t used their standalone installers in a long time, though.

Thanks but so many people are advising against .run files, and I really can’t say i know how to install that correctly anyway

Think I’m screwed…

Maybe you can manually install the deb files from http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/restricted/n/nvidia-graphics-drivers-361/

Tried, most have unmet dependencies… Thanks though