Opera-stable_99.0.4788.13_amd64.deb not rendering/displaying text

Updated all updates on 23/5 on Ubuntu mate 22.04.2 and restarted.
Included in the updates was opera-stable_99.0.4788.13_amd64.deb but text not appearing from any website including gmail
Downgrade back to opera-stable_98.0.4759.6_amd64.deb fixes it.
I tried posting on the Opera forum but rejected my input.

2 Likes

Welcome @molgra to the community!

Hi, @molgra :slight_smile:

I hadn't installed the Opera web browser in Ubuntu MATE before but, because I saw your post, I've downloaded and installed just now Opera using the Ubuntu MATE "Software Boutique" in a laptop running Ubuntu MATE 22.04.2 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish) and it downloaded a slightly more recent version of Opera than yours, specifically it downloaded and installed the 99.0.4788.31 version instead of 99.0.4788.13

At least in that most recent version (99.0.4788.31), the web pages text displays properly in the Opera browser in my computer, including Gmail.

I've found the changelog for both Opera versions (and older 99.x versions) here:

Changelog for 99 - Opera Desktop - https://blogs.opera.com/desktop/changelog-for-99/

From that web page:

99.0.4788.31 – 2023-05-25 blog post

• DNA-107338 NotReached in SadTabView::OnPaint
  • DNA-107689 Crash at extensions::ShodanPrivateShowPopupForSelectedTextFunction::Run()

99.0.4788.13 – 2023-05-18 blog post

• CHR-9290 Update Chromium on desktop-stable-113-4788 to 113.0.5672.127
  • DNA-107317 __delayLoadHelper2 crash in crashreporter
    (...)

I suggest that you try updating your Opera version to the most recent one (99.0.4788.31 at the time of this writing) and see if that solves your issue. If that doesn't solve your issue, it may be worth checking if you're running any Opera extensions / add-ons that may be causing the issue.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply but I have over 15 systems I need to "automatically" update using webmin so unfortunately the solution is not so easy.
I just want Opera to push out a new stable that works to see if it is really is the Opera-stable_99.0.4788.13_amd64.deb or a conflict with other Ubuntu Mate software.

Kind regards

I upgraded to opera --version 99.0.4788.31 a new stable but still have same problem only on Ubuntu Mate 22.04.2 . See uploaded below. It should be the about screen showing version number which is shown in the terminal window.

Hi, you did not mention if you

An extension may not recognize method 22.04 is using. Also might try

To clean install Opera:

1. Uninstall the Opera application from your computer.
  2. Delete your Opera profile data.
  3. Download the latest version of Opera.
  4. Install your new, clean version. as outlined here:

https://help.opera.com/en/opera36/find-solutions/

You may have some issue in your profile files. After just installing and launch it looks to your profile files and uses what it finds.. Easy to try (think this will take extensions out of the mix also) and then if clean works you can slowly add back to you profile to see what is issue. Just a guess.

2 Likes

Hi Mendy

It works now
I moved the opera folder to the Desktop and re-installed.
Not the most elegant but will suffice for my needs
Thanks for the help

3 Likes

Well good, but actually the folder on your Desktop is now doing nothing as Opera will have created a new profile on your reinstall which indicates to me that there was something in your previously existing profile (now on your Desktop) was causing the issues. You didn't mention if you are using any extensions, if so try installing one at a time then restart browser to see if it causes issue and then another and so forth.

Edit: Quick note if you had any special preference settings before you will have to enter again as new profile will not have them. I have all my Firefox settings saved in a Calc sheet just for such situations.

2 Likes

Hi
I just use Opera as a front end to Webmin and just use it out on the tin( no extensions/ add-ons ).
I just moved the opera folder because as always I am reluctant to delete anything.
I am happy now with the solution and do not feel like trouble shooting.
Opera states it is "faster, safer and smarter than default browser" but I question reliability from this experience.
Thanks for your help
End of call