Optimised kernel for 15.04

I tried Liquorix Kernel on 15.04. It installed very easily (via two deb statements, update and reboot) and resulted in a huge improvement in speed, particularly boot/resume; I was most surprised and encouraged by this.

(My machine is very “Linux-friendly” - Broadwell i3-based, onboard Intel chips for everything, no unusual hardware - but even considering that the installation was smooth).

The only issue is that Liquorix demands up-to-date supporting software (e.g. gcc 4.9 or greater) so I suspect it might not work with 14.04 LTS.

Overall, though, well worth trying (after a backup) and I will be keeping it.

1 Like

I followed your tip , but , in my PC , the generic kernel runs better . Strange ,isn’t ? I’m using 15.04 , too , but with Kernel Linux 4.1.6-040106-generic .

I use an optimised Kernel on my Chromebook (one of Hugh Greenburg’s) but just the stock one on my ThinkCentre.

To be honest I expected little improvement - there are a number of projects around which provide “64-bit optimised versions” of Firefox (e.g. Pale Moon x64 or Waterfox) and I have never seen much difference on trying them - and the large improvements were a big surprise …

In fact I just observed that the image ( at VLC , youtube , etc. ) is better . :wink:

I’d like to give it a try although I’m not sure how it would affect my currently installed nvidia drivers package, should I disable it before installing this kernel and re-install it afterwards? I’m used to Arch where the package manager updates nvidia drivers automatically when one installs a new kernel (even some custom made ones), but I think that’s not the case in Ubuntu/Debian.

I got an error on dkms building of the module for my nvidia and a cursorary search shows the typical answer is to use nouveau or get another card. I’m uninstalling now.

I gave the kernel a try on my Chromebook, mostly to see what would happen and was pleasantly surprised to see that it worked just fine there (likely due to Intel video) and I did indeed see the speed improvements mentioned in the earlier portion of the thread. It boots very quickly now, only taking a millisecond or two to complain about something with regard to 219 before completing boot.

I’m still not sure how to install the nvidia drivers with this kernel. Arch has the package nvidia-304xx-lqx, which is the version for my graphics card, is there an ubuntu/debian equivalent?

Okay. Had to reinstall to remove ndiswrapper. This made me try this kernel again to see if I could get it to play ball with me somehow and now I have it working on my Kodi box as well as my Chromebook!

Since I’m not sure which one did the magic I’m recommending both these PPAs.

[xorg-edgers ppa][1]

[Proprietary GPU Drivers ppa][2]

I installed the xorg-edgers ppa first then the proprietary gpu ppa then selected the proprietary drivers in the additional drivers applet. Ubuntu-Mate did its thing and upon reboot everything worked!

Hope this helps someone else.
[1]: https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
[2]: https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa