Partial Upgrade Warning in 23.04

I have already reported as a bug in Ubuntu MATE 23.04, but not 100% sure its a bug. I always use the CLI to run my updates, so I did not notice this right away. Today the Software Updater showed up with the Message that not all updates can be installed, and offer to do a partial upgrade or continue. I then got an error message as in the screenshot. I did not proceed, so I tried to Mark all upgrades in Synaptic and I got a warning that several important system files would be removed, ubuntu-mate-desktop being one of them. I did not proceed.

I then tried sudo apt full-upgrade and got the same message.

I tried aptitude sudo aptitude full-upgrade and got the same results.

It could be that I should just wait and see if the issue will be resolved on its own. Its in a VM so its not hyper critical, but I am currently using that install to help find bugs etc.

mickee@mickee-VirtualBox:~$ sudo apt full-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
  pipewire-jack
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  pipewire-alsa pipewire-audio-client-libraries ubuntu-mate-core
  ubuntu-mate-desktop
The following packages will be upgraded:
  gstreamer1.0-pipewire libpipewire-0.3-0 libpipewire-0.3-modules
  libspa-0.2-bluetooth libspa-0.2-jack libspa-0.2-modules pipewire
  pipewire-bin pipewire-jack pipewire-pulse
10 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 2,215 kB of archives.
After this operation, 482 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

Any help to solve this will be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Hi have had issues with regular update where repository failed.
Had to use sudo apt-get update and at the bottom of list in terminal it showed the error(s). Not same issue you are talking about but easy to try.

Also here some other information:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-ubuntu-update-errors/

1 Like

there are no errors with apt update. So the partial upgrade message is now gone.

2 Likes

reopening as the issue exactly has cropped up again.

For other people following this topic, I've found the bug that @mickee (Brian Bogdan) has reported in Launchpad is the following one ("Bug #1999649 “Partial Upgrade Warning - Can't install ubuntu-mate-core” : Bugs : Ubuntu MATE)", reported by him on 14th December 2022:

@mickee: UnfortunateIy, I can't help you directly. As you know, "Ubuntu MATE 23.04 (Lunar Lobster)" currently (February 2023) is still in the development (pre-release) stages, since it will only be released in April of the current year (2023) and it's very rare for me to test Alpha / Beta or other pre-release versions (but I applaud you for testing them!). Having said that, I suggest that you mention, in the bug that you reported in Launchpad, that the pre-release version you're using is for Ubuntu MATE 23.04

2 Likes