Password problem

My computer is a fresh build with an Intel D945GCL with 4GB of Mem.

I am so green. I just installed Mate 16.04 with surprising ease. Until I decided to check out the apps. As you all know, nothing can be done without a password. When I enter mine it is rejected. The only thing I can figure is I MUST have misspelled the password in set-up.

How can I find and retype my system password? I have forgot what little I new about programming, so I use the kiss technique. I think I am going to love Linux. I am so tired of windows it is impossible to describe.

Sorry i can’t walk you through the steps, as I’m typing on mobile. I’m sure someone will come to the rescue in a moment but if you’re in a hurry, i usually google search ‘debian reset root password’ and follow the steps. It should take two minutes.

Steps are described here:

Edit: changed link to a more complete post in the "tips & tricks" category.

If you've selected "encrypt home folder" you will loose whatever files you had by using this technique, but since it's a fresh install it doesn't matter much.

1 Like

This looks good. I am pooped tonight. I will try it tomorrow. What if I just did a re-install? Maybe there will not be an option to erase then install. I do have a DBAN disc in an emergency. Bobby