PC won't boot into BIOS

My new PC will not boot into bios. The AMI screen flashes then I get a flashing cursor at top left. What I did: Formatted removable internal drive, the went into BIOS and I must have switched it to boot to that one. I know - need to read!

I hit the Del key but it won't go into BIOS. It skips directly to the cursor. Any ideas for this oversight on my part? In the meantime, I am going to hook up a USB keyboard in case the default wireless, in case it boots before its detected. Also I assume that fast boot may be enabled. Is UEFI, which was working until I changed the boot order in it.

ok, so a wired keyboard makes no difference. I do see in that brief second the AMBIOS flashes on screen says "entering setup..." but then straight to that flashing cursor

Hello mickee

I have the same problem on one of my old (2013) machines.

• As a workaround I installed the OS onto the ssd in another machine of the same model, and then put that drive in the "not-showing-BIOS" machine. The "not-showing-BIOS" machine boots into the OS and I can use it. :slightly_smiling_face:
  • Note if you do not have a "duplicate" computer to hand you could of course use a USB-to-SATA connector cable (they cost about €20).

What I'm thinking of doing the next time I have to do an OS installation on the "not-showing-BIOS" machine, is to remove the CMOS battery for 60 seconds.

3 Likes

I've got at least one box where I find it very hard to get into BIOS/Setup mode.... the easiest way for me for some is just grabbing a recent Ubuntu ISO/ thumb-drive & boot that, as some give me a enter-BIOS option.

Note: my issue is likely that I've a number of boxes, and thus at least six different ways that are needed to be used to achieve it, and for non HP/dell/lenovo boxes the methods vary quite & a bit considering I don't need it very often... eg. one requires me to hold down a specific key whilst the box is off; after a few seconds it'll turn on & ask what I want to do

Also note: I mention Ubuntu ISO, where I'm referring to main Ubuntu Desktop, or flavor such as Ubuntu-MATE; most of my recent thumb-drives will be QA dailies (ie. unreleased products), and in most cases all for the same release offer the same options on the same hardware, but it varies on ISO/release.

eg. I grabbed my Ubuntu-MATE thumb-drive (looking at the chart for which it is, thumb-drive 2, hunt for it), grab a sony vaio thingy I have & boot it... The 7th item on the GRUB menu is "UEFI Firmware Settings", selecting that puts me in VAIO Care (Rescue Mode).

Sorry: I didn't look at what release/daily was on the thumb-drive; I can see the last I downloaded was lunar but I suspect I had another release on the thumb-drive.

4 Likes

Just to clarify, you have a PC that worked and you formatted a removable drive after the fact. If so can you try removing that drive and then try rebooting and entering your bios. If not disregard this.

2 Likes

yes and its a modular removable bay hard drive. I have removed the drive and it still won't load the BIOS

1 Like

it could have a hot key to clear CMOS (Page up) I will try that as well as F7 to choose boot device and report back

Hi, did you mention puter brand. Guessing your mentioning Del is that it shows on the boot screen. (based on new computer in your post). If not here mentions some combinations by brand and scrolling down to option 3 proposes a possible Linux terminal command.:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bios-keys-to-access-your-firmware,5732.html

2 Likes

Thanks, ya delete for setup, or F7 for boot order and Page Up to reset CMOS. It's an Elite Group G24 all in one pc, i7 w/16GB RAM, 150GB SSD and a removable (as in swappable bay ) 2.5 SATA 2TB drive

1 Like

I removed the modular HDD and tried the different boot options. Still displays bios entering setup and then just the cursor. I even let it sit on that for more than an hour and it did not open the bios. I am out of options, I guess. An expensive door stop

Here's another long shot. Involves resetting the bios to default. First section would not apply as you can't get the screen but they mention removing the cmos battery. As I said a long shot.:
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clear-cmos-2624545

2 Likes

I will see if I can get the back cover off - it's an all-in-one, then I will try the battery removal

1 Like

Hi just a thought on battery. Not sure if puter is Brandy New or New 2 U, but if you have ability check battery voltage if you get to it at some point. If older unit I would consider replacing it while you have it apart.

Here is a YouTube on assembly of unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s5capISVIY

2 Likes

thank you for the link

1 Like

Look and read this link What If Your Computer Can’t Access BIOS? A Guide for You!
He about "What If Your Computer Can’t Access BIOS? A Guide for You! "
I hope this help you
Hope I helped you.
Regards,
WorkTime monitors productivity

1 Like

Thanks for the information

1 Like

Computer is about 5 years old, was used once - been in storage since then. Taking to computer shop today

2 Likes

Probably not applicable, BUT - on my new Acer Swift 3 I start tapping the F2 key (I believe DEL would work as well) as soon as I turn the computer on. Otherwise, it is near impossible to get the computer to boot to BIOS.

3 Likes

I am hopeful that if the computer shop can get into the BIOS that's all I should need. I can easily do the rest. I will report back with their findings.

2 Likes

so the techs fixed my pc. Truly I could have/should have done it myself, easy to remove the back cover of the all-in-one. So somehow I had BIOS set to boot from LAN. Coupled with Fast Boot and there was my problem. So the fix was remove the cover, remove the hard disk, boot, and that brought up the BIOS. Then switched to USB, SSD as far as boot order.

Side note: Installed Ubuntu MATE and my apps, updated everything, ready to switch out with my good old HP PC. Will do that tomorrow night. Can't wait!

3 Likes