Pi3 will not read new MATE 16.10 SD Card

I copied ubuntu-mate-16.10-desktop-amd64.iso to 16GB SD Card FAT-formatted on iMac OS X 10.11.6 with Pi Filer, but just get blank screen with no indication that the Pi is at all attempting to read the card, which mounts as normal when the Pi3 is running Raspbian PIXEL.

Any clues as to why this is happening?

Yeah, the amd64 image is for x86-type CPUs.
You need a specific image for ARM CPUs, and there is no 16.10 image yet afaik.
So that won’t work.

Thanks! Perhaps this can be made clear? There’s no indication on the Download page that this will not run on the Pi.

Indeed, maybe @lah7 or @Wimpy can add a note to that effect.
They’ll also know if a RPi image is planned for 16.10.
In the mean time, if you go to the download page, you can get the specific RPi image of Ubuntu MATE 16.04.

You can install 16.04 and then update to 16.10 - it’s already working. Just go into the updater settings.

Thanks! I had to change from being informed only of LTS releases to All New Releases before the option to update to 16.10 appeared.

Hi !
I’m currently trying to update 16.04 to 16.10 to use PulseAudio 9.0 features. But when I use the do-release-upgrade command I get an error which say that the /boot partition is too small despite using a 16GB SDcard. I tried the apt-get clean command but no changes. Do you have any advice or solution for this problem ?
Thank you in advance for your help.

There seems to be a bug in software upgrade, and the do-release-upgrade command.

I cannot see WHY there would be a need for over 40MB of free space (which exceeds the size of the existing contents). This is either a simple calculation error or it REALLY is trying to put this into /boot.

I noticed the free space on /boot was less than 4MB less than the “required” so I deleted kernel.img. There is NO WAY it could be used, as it is an ARM6 kernel; likewise there is no conceivable use for bcm2708-rpi-b.dtb or bcm2708-rpi-b-plus.dtb, so I deleted these as well.

After this do-release-upgrade command worked.