Picom compositor alt tab doesn't show preview

The Xpresent compositor displays mini versions of windows when alt-tabbing, but none of Xrender, GLX, or hybrid do. Is there a good solution to this? (Other than use Xpresent. Increased performance/reduced tearing are always nice).

Unfortunatley I am facing the same problem. I tried to tweak the picom.conf-settings but without success. Then I activated software compositing in the mate windows settings menu whicht allowed to deactivate and activate the 'show thumbnails in Alt-TAB'-setting. But changing the flag did not have any effect. Thumbnails are still not shown.
Any news or progress here?
Kind regards, Marco

1 Like

Welcome @OneTwoBarbecue to the community!

Thank you very much for your warm welcome :slight_smile: Nice to join your community :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi 1-2-bbq :slight_smile:

To answer the quoted question

The Xpresent compositor displays mini versions of windows when alt-tabbing, but none of Xrender, GLX, or hybrid do. Is there a good solution to this?

Yes, use compiz as compositor and you can have preview thumbnails when alt-tabbing.

sudo apt install compiz compiz-mate compizconfig-settings-manager
1 Like

Hi tkn,

many thanks for your solution. I already tried compiz. It has quite a lot of effects is fancy and is very convenient to use.

But with compiz I did not manage to show up the hidden plank dock when hovering to the very bottom of the screen where the dock is located. With compiz runnig, plank treats every maximised window somehow as prior and I did not find a way to make the plank dock appear in front of such a maximised window when hovering to the very bottom of the screen. None of the choosable behavoirs in plank worked.

With marco on the other hand, the plank dock perfectly shows up when hovering to the very bottom even when doing so within a maximised window.

Any idea on how to achieve this with compiz?

Sorry if this post is somehow off-topic. On the other hand it is somehow related to the initial question I think.

Kind regards, Marco

On my system plank works without any problem together with compiz.
When a window is maximized, plank keeps on working whether under marco or compiz.
When using fullscreen mode (F11) , plank does not pop up neither with marco nor with compiz
So I can not reproduce the behaviour you mentioned.
could you check if you have the package compiz-mate installed ?

b.t.w. Just as reference, this is my set of installed compiz packages:

compiz
compiz-core
compiz-gnome
compiz-mate
compiz-plugins:amd64
compiz-plugins-default:amd64
compiz-plugins-extra
compizconfig-settings-manager
libcompizconfig0:amd64
python3-compizconfig:amd64