Plans for 24.04 LTS?

Mate version in 24.04 LTS daily ISO has been upgraded to 1.27.1
Now correct me if I'm wrong but I think that 1.27 is a developement version so the release version 1.28 could theoretically well be landing in the final version.

5 Likes

Any Wayland in there?

1 Like

Not seen any wayland yet.
Although MATE desktop seems ready for it I also think that implementing it now would be a bit too experimental for an LTS, but I would not be surprised if we would see a bit of wayland in 24.10.

2 Likes

Hi folks, this topic came up in the Ubuntu Technical Board meeting earlier today - @Wimpy can you shed any light on whether the Ubuntu MATE developers are planning to apply for LTS status for Ubuntu MATE 24.04? It is fine if not, but we just want to make sure it doesn't get forgotten if it was planned. Thanks.

8 Likes

Welcome @alexmurray to the community!

2 Likes

@Wimpy is all on NixOS these days. I hope he still cares about Ubuntu MATE. Today MATE development seems to be concentrated on bringing MATE to Wayland.

3 Likes

I hope not, breaks virtually all third part stuff, which is what is helping get Linux into the mainstream.

...MATE 22.04 sa dalo pouzivat 3 dni,potom som to vzdal...skusal som 24.04,ešte horsie...po restarte vzdy sa téma nastavila na defaultné,plank dock uz pri kliknuti na ovladaci centrum...to je akože vývoj???...

1 Like

Welcome @ikx to the community!

1 Like
1 Like

Hi @lazlo (and your other useraccount @ikx )

Mám mierne tušenie, že problém nie je na strane vývojára:

Používate 24.04, zatiaľ nevydanú, zatiaľ nepodporovanú vývojovú verziu, ktorá nie je vhodná na každodenné používanie (do konca apríla), no stále vás prekvapuje, že máte problémy. Bolo by veľmi užitočné, keby ste mohli nahlásiť chybu pri akomkoľvek probléme, s ktorým sa stretnete.

Spúšťam 24.04 na 3 mojich testovacích strojoch (starých, veľmi starých a starožitných), ale žiadny z nich nemá problém s témou alebo plank, takže to nie je univerzálny (tj vývojový) problém.

Tiež používam 22.04 na mojich iných počítačoch, tu nie sú žiadne problémy, takže je pravdepodobnejšie, že ste niečo pokazili v nastavení.

google translation to english:

MATE 22.04 could be used for 3 days, then I gave up... I tried 24.04, even worse... after restarting, the theme was always set to default, plank dock already when clicking on the control center... is this what the development is? ? ?

I have a slight hunch that the problem is not on the developer side:

You're running 24.04, a not-yet-released, not-yet-supported development version that isn't suitable for everyday use (until the end of April), but you're still surprised that you're having problems. It would be very helpful if you could report a bug for any problem you encounter.

I'm running 24.04 on 3 of my test machines (old, very old, and antique), but none of them have the theme or plank problem, so it's not a universal (i.e. development) problem.

I'm also using 22.04 on my other machines, no problems here, so it's more likely that you have something messed up in your setup.

2 Likes

.ubuntu mate 22.04.4 spustené z live USB,ked nainstalujem,takisto produkuje tuto chybu.na viacerych notebookov skušané.
.ked nainštalujem tému infinity,po restarte nastavy defaultnu tému plochy.

Bij mijn weten bestaat er helemaal geen infinity thema in de ubuntu pakketbronnen. Is dit infinity thema een applicatie van een 3e partij ?
Heb je rekening gehouden met de mogelijkheid dat fouten in dat infinity thema ongeldige waarden kan introduceren welke de desktop dwingen om de standaard waarden aan te nemen ?

Translation:

.ubuntu has 22.04.4 running from a live USB, when I install it, it also produces this error. tried on several laptops.
.when I install the infinity theme, after a restart it sets the default desktop theme.

As far as I know there is no infinity theme in the Ubuntu repositories at all. Is this infinity theme a 3rd party application?
Have you considered the possibility that bugs in that infinity theme could introduce invalid values that force the desktop to assume defaults?

2 Likes

I am sorry to say, and I don't want to be rude, but I think no, he doesn't. @Wimpy 's last seen here was 29 Sep '23. His social channels are full of Nix stuff, not Ubuntu MATE.
In this video he says he wants to migrate his family to NixOS. And Ubuntu MATE was primarily developed for his family. Now he develops Nix for them.
I am just a normal user, not a developer, but I think it would be fair from him to say he is not interested in the project anymore and show us the new leader.
In other words: I think it is OK to become interested in something else, but it is fair to say goodbye. Many people run this great system on their computers (not on calculators) and sort of rely on it. I switched back to Ubuntu GNOME after I saw nobody was interested in my original question whole month and I think it is a normal human reaction. My wife's (10y old) laptop still runs Ubuntu MATE and I still love it, but if there is no vision of maintenance and development in the future, it will become insecure and irrelevant.
I want to highlight I don't want to be rude or to criticize anybody who is doing the hard work of development and I thank you all!
I am opened for discussion.

1 Like

Canonical rebuilds Ubuntu 24.04 LTS packages for Noble Numbat Beta, ensuring safety from CVE-2024-3094 threat. - April 3, 2024

2 Likes

Hi,

I believe he still shares his love/energy to Ubuntu Mate, because if you check commits like here Commits · ubuntu-mate/ubuntu-mate-settings · GitHub and Commits · ubuntu-mate/ubuntu-mate-artwork · GitHub, there were activities, though not much.

3 Likes

Any news if we're getting the release today?

Yes,
I have installed it about 30min before

For the future of Mate:
I read they devs are working on wayland implementation with v1.28, and it may take time until 2026.
Honestly - Ubuntu Mate with Wayland support will be my highlight for raspberry pi. :heart_eyes:

I've submitted the LTS re-qualification request for Ubuntu MATE to the tech-board:

8 Likes

Thanks @Wimpy, will follow-up via email. Cheers.

2 Likes