Play Bluray in VLC

Hi Guys, I have Bluray on my computer, I used it once with Windows XP, came with software and drivers for Windows, but I’ve spent years without using Windows,

I install MakeMKV to test, the disc has 46Gb of film, using MakeMKV has 70GB of movie on my desk, it is too.

although I have seen many tutorials, I could never make it work

I would like you to put a complete tutorial to see Bluray in VLC.

many users like me could use to know.

I would like to see full Saga of Star Wars. I love it

regards …

Hi @Josele13,

does this help?:

1 Like

Start by installing libdvdcss2 from the software boutique.
Cheers

thanks for the report, then I will go step by step, I’ll get it? regards…

1 Like

Hello wolfman, it seems to continue without running VLC.
I followed the steps, but nothing.

I tried with MakeMKV streaming but will not let me,

Do I have to install extra codecs restricted?

at the end I will have to install Virtualbox with XP.

regards....

if, as I had done,
Thank you…

Hi,

install the following via the terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) if not already installed:

sudo apt-get install libxine2-all-plugins ubuntu-restricted-extras

Nothing, don’t play bluray in VLC…

Thank you Wolfman , we tried.

regards…

Hi @Josele13,

try using “smplayer”, install via the following terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + t):

sudo apt-get install smplayer

Hi Wolfman , this is incredible.
Mplayer does not play bluray,
Thanks for helping me, but I see no solution,
regards…

This is notification....

it is too, do you undestand this…

/usr/bin/mpv --no-config --no-quiet --terminal --no-msg-color --input-file=/dev/stdin --no-fs --hwdec=no --sub-auto=fuzzy --vo=xv, --ao=pulse --no-input-default-bindings --input-x11-keyboard=no --no-input-cursor --cursor-autohide=no --no-keepaspect --wid=65011953 --monitorpixelaspect=1 --osd-scale=1 --sub-ass --embeddedfonts --ass-line-spacing=0 --sub-scale=1 --sub-text-font=Arial --sub-text-color=#ffffff --sub-text-shadow-color=#000000 --sub-text-border-color=#000000 --sub-text-border-size=2.5 --sub-text-shadow-offset=5 --sub-codepage=utf8:ISO-8859-1 --sub-pos=100 --volume=55 --dvd-device=/dev/dvdrw --cache=no --osd-level=0 --screenshot-directory=/home/jose/Imágenes/smplayer_screenshots --screenshot-template=cap_%F_%p_%02n --screenshot-format=jpg --audio-channels=2 --af-add=scaletempo --af-add=equalizer=0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 --softvol=yes --softvol-max=110 --ytdl=no --term-playing-msg=MPV_VERSION=${=mpv-version:}
INFO_VIDEO_WIDTH=${=width}
INFO_VIDEO_HEIGHT=${=height}
INFO_VIDEO_ASPECT=${=video-aspect}
INFO_VIDEO_FPS=${=fps}
INFO_VIDEO_FORMAT=${=video-format}
INFO_VIDEO_CODEC=${=video-codec}
INFO_AUDIO_FORMAT=${=audio-codec-name:${=audio-format}}
INFO_AUDIO_CODEC=${=audio-codec}
INFO_AUDIO_RATE=${=audio-params/samplerate:${=audio-samplerate}}
INFO_AUDIO_NCH=${=audio-params/channel-count:${=audio-channels}}
INFO_LENGTH=${=duration:${=length}}
INFO_DEMUXER=${=demuxer}
INFO_TITLES=${=disc-titles}
INFO_CHAPTERS=${=chapters}
INFO_TRACKS_COUNT=${=track-list/count}
METADATA_TITLE=${metadata/by-key/title:}
METADATA_ARTIST=${metadata/by-key/artist:}
METADATA_ALBUM=${metadata/by-key/album:}
METADATA_GENRE=${metadata/by-key/genre:}
METADATA_DATE=${metadata/by-key/date:}
METADATA_TRACK=${metadata/by-key/track:}
METADATA_COPYRIGHT=${metadata/by-key/copyright:}
INFO_MEDIA_TITLE=${=media-title:}
–term-status-msg=STATUS: ${=time-pos} / ${=duration:${=length:0}} P: ${=pause} B: ${=paused-for-cache} I: ${=core-idle} dvd://menu

Playing: dvd://menu
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 5.0.3
libdvdread:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdread:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
libdvdread: Can’t open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
libdvdnav: vm: failed to read VIDEO_TS.IFO
[dvdnav] Couldn’t open DVD device: /dev/dvdrw
No protocol handler found to open URL dvd://menu
The protocol is either unsupported, or was disabled at compile-time.
Exiting… (Errors when loading file)

Hi Jose,

is the disk you are trying to play a copy or is it an original disk (DVD)?. :smiley:

In you picture above; is states that it cannot read the drive so therefore won’t be able to read any disks!. :confused:

Is the DVD drive working with normal media disks?.

Hello Wolfman, are original disks, they gave me a year ago, The Complete Star Wars Saga. 9 episodes, I have not seen yet on Blu-ray. The LG player, records and plays well on any CD, DVD, Bluray with Cyberlink in XP. With MakeMKV has recorded a movie to the desktop from the disc, but not let me do the work to try to see streaming with VLC. thanks for your attention…

Hi Jose,

did you follow the advice above (I cannot find it @ouroumov?) and do you have the following packages installed?:

sudo apt-get install libaacs0 libbluray-bdj libbluray1

libdvdcss2 can be downloaded from here if you cannot find it in the Software Boutique:

64 Bit:

https://pkgs.org/debian-sid/multimedia-main-amd64/libdvdcss2_1.4.0-dmo1_amd64.deb.html

32 Bit:

https://pkgs.org/debian-sid/multimedia-main-i386/libdvdcss2_1.4.0-dmo1_i386.deb.html

Hello Wolfman, all packages are already installed.

regards...

What I am reading from the above is that the file simply cannot be read!, right click the file(s) you are trying to play and display their properties please so we can determine whether or not the files are corrupted!. :smiley:

the second disc also

/usr/bin/mpv --no-config --no-quiet --terminal --no-msg-color --input-file=/dev/stdin --no-fs --hwdec=no --sub-auto=fuzzy --vo=xv, --ao=pulse --no-input-default-bindings --input-x11-keyboard=no --no-input-cursor --cursor-autohide=no --no-keepaspect --wid=41943059 --monitorpixelaspect=1 --osd-scale=1 --sub-ass --embeddedfonts --ass-line-spacing=0 --sub-scale=1 --sub-text-font=Arial --sub-text-color=#ffffff --sub-text-shadow-color=#000000 --sub-text-border-color=#000000 --sub-text-border-size=2.5 --sub-text-shadow-offset=5 --sub-codepage=utf8:ISO-8859-1 --sub-pos=100 --volume=55 --cache=2048 --osd-level=0 --screenshot-directory=/home/jose/Imágenes/smplayer_screenshots --screenshot-template=cap_%F_%p_%02n --screenshot-format=jpg --audio-channels=2 --af-add=scaletempo --af-add=equalizer=0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 --softvol=yes --softvol-max=110 --ytdl=no --term-playing-msg=MPV_VERSION=${=mpv-version:}
INFO_VIDEO_WIDTH=${=width}
INFO_VIDEO_HEIGHT=${=height}
INFO_VIDEO_ASPECT=${=video-aspect}
INFO_VIDEO_FPS=${=fps}
INFO_VIDEO_FORMAT=${=video-format}
INFO_VIDEO_CODEC=${=video-codec}
INFO_AUDIO_FORMAT=${=audio-codec-name:${=audio-format}}
INFO_AUDIO_CODEC=${=audio-codec}
INFO_AUDIO_RATE=${=audio-params/samplerate:${=audio-samplerate}}
INFO_AUDIO_NCH=${=audio-params/channel-count:${=audio-channels}}
INFO_LENGTH=${=duration:${=length}}
INFO_DEMUXER=${=demuxer}
INFO_TITLES=${=disc-titles}
INFO_CHAPTERS=${=chapters}
INFO_TRACKS_COUNT=${=track-list/count}
METADATA_TITLE=${metadata/by-key/title:}
METADATA_ARTIST=${metadata/by-key/artist:}
METADATA_ALBUM=${metadata/by-key/album:}
METADATA_GENRE=${metadata/by-key/genre:}
METADATA_DATE=${metadata/by-key/date:}
METADATA_TRACK=${metadata/by-key/track:}
METADATA_COPYRIGHT=${metadata/by-key/copyright:}
INFO_MEDIA_TITLE=${=media-title:}
–term-status-msg=STATUS: ${=time-pos} / ${=duration:${=length:0}} P: ${=pause} B: ${=paused-for-cache} I: ${=core-idle} /media/jose/ATTACK_OF_THE_CLONES/BDMV/PLAYLIST/00011.mpls

Playing: /media/jose/ATTACK_OF_THE_CLONES/BDMV/PLAYLIST/00011.mpls
Failed to recognize file format.
Exiting… (Errors when loading file)

is original, MakeMKV works and what makes matroska,

with XP can see the Movies.

VLC and smplayer can not see.

regards...

Hi @Josele13,

I’m not sure why it won’t play as you say that everything you need is installed so now do the following:

1. Change your software sources download location to a different download server (see update guide* on how to do this if you don’t know!).

2. Once you have done the above, run the following terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + t):

sudo apt-get remove vlc && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f && sudo apt-get install vlc

1. Try playing you disks again and see if that helps!. :thumbsup:

If anyone else on the forum has an idea, please post your thoughts as I am stumped!. :smiley: