Please assist with this networked printer installation?

forgive me for asking as I do not do any remote desk manipultation....but
can't you copy and paste from this page to your terminal that controls his files?

Or do you need help with knowing how to copy and paste into a terminal?
Forgive me if you already know this.

IMHO the easy terminal for a Windows user to use is a "Pull down" terminal
and our mate terminal offers this function as per screenshot where I have used left button for a RH mouse user to highlight something in the terminal and about to copy it into my clipboard.....while you would likely be copying something from a web browser
and using the pulldown to select paste into the terminal

(Experienced terminal users can also push down their wheel button to paste
or click both LH RH buttons if they have no wheel mouse
OR use the suggested keyboard shortcuts)

Imgur

Thanks for the reply & the giggles Aus9 !!

This part:
"Experienced terminal users "
Got me giggling !!
This is because I was a pre-DOS computer user who actively resisted the entire GUI thing for YEARS after win-doze 1.0 so bafflingly appeared.
(And yes - I was also a CLI-only Linux user whilst enjoying its evolutions to a more 'modern' status.)

So - YES - the terminal is just fine by me - and YES - copy/paste DOES work remotely from my desktop to his & vice-versa.

What I've been needing here the most is enough time & energy with a clear head - not so easy to have when one has a high fever & respiratory distress in progress as has been the deal for ~2 weeks for me - so:
Thanks for your patient replies to me during this struggle which is now close to being over.

Now - that's enough about THAT, thanks.

When I said that I use the distant PC just as if I am at that desk - it is a 100% accurate statement with the ONLY exception of not being there in person to go see & touch the printer in the other room.

Now, having some time to recover from almost 2 weeks of illness & having a clearer head - some very related thoughts have occurred to me which cast this discussion into a slightly different light, I think:

1 - There is a 2nd (HP) printer which is reached via its IP address on that same LAN which was discovered & installed from that same Linux desktop PC very easily & immediately at the start of all this - and which has been working flawlessly via LAN since day 1;

2 - The Canon printer has responded to print jobs sent to it after my initial tries to get it driven correctly - but only as if it had been sent mal-formed commands.
It has responded by entering a halted error state - which has required someone there to physically press buttons on it to clear that state.
This seems to tell me that it is already reachable, but that NOT having the correct driver was most likely what caused that halting error response.

3 - Avahi or none, those 2 facts above seem to point more clearly at the nature of the problem as being driver related - would you agree ??

4 - The driver I used before was a PPD IIRC, but now it has been weeks since & my notes are just not clear enough for me to be 100% sure of that.

A bit later tonight I will work at muddling through all the various suggestions from this VERY comprehensive thread, hopefully doing a bit better at NOT repeating any mis-steps of my own, AND:
When next there is a body physically present at his office (monday here in the US, most likely) I will re-test by sending print jobs to that LAN connected Canon printer to see if it works any better.

Again, my thanks for your patience here !!

Hi is that also on same switched network?

Maybe. There are 2 reactions you can do.

Either use root powers to delete current PPD from
/etc/cups/ppd Directory but better is to delete the printer from within cups page once you get back in.......and then try a different printer model from the canon selections or the other PPD.....now I don't know which PPD you used
from memory I think we have only 2 from the early links.

1. Sure I agree but I think you do have avahi running or you would not have discovered this second printer.

2. Now leaping ahead.....if for any reason no-one else takes over as I have already stated I have no switch experience......maybe you could install virtualbox vm for what ever windows you know works with that printer?

Hello Again Aus9 & again - my thanks.

Now, I must wonder openly here...perhaps you have a wonderful sense of humour ??
And the repeats of 'switched' vs simply 'LAN' are a way of making for levity ?!?

Here it is again, in a nice, simple form, just in case my impression of humour is mistaken:

A fully switched network is a computer network that uses only network switches rather than network hubs on Ethernet local area networks.

From prior replies the impression given is that you do have a LAN yourself - and based upon the recurrences of concern about the use of a switch vs. an older hub, perhaps your LAN uses only a hub and/or a router ??

Then of course, if your LAN is router-based as so many are, it becomes natural to ask if said router (used as a hub...) is actually modern enough that it is actually a switch internally rather than merely being a half-duplex, old fashioned hub ???

OK, back to implementing all the wonderful suggestions so generously provided...more later !!
Thanks.

if it helps ....I have a modem/router
tower eth cable to it and all other devices are wireless to router

I have no experience in setting up an ethernet cabled printer to a network device,
if that is clearer. Yes I do have a sense of humour but some may not get my more obtuse jokes.

Ah-hah !!
Then -if- you had a printer shared via ethernet it would also most likely be on a 'switched network' just as with the one I am trying to get to behave properly !!!

re-looking at your original post....Canon iR-ADV 4025 ....US Canon link has a link to a Linux support partner......I missed this sorry

There are Terms and Conditions but in summary they are
Canon customers in North America. Any usage outside of North America is strictly prohibited.
and fine print
https://www.codehost.com/terms-of-use/

I will not attempt the download as I will be in breach of agreement
but I assume you can read and agree the terms.

I therefore have no idea if this package has to be compiled against cup-dev
hmmm can't see packages called cups-dev cups-development

but have you considered using this support company?

Ok it may need money at first glance reading bits of this PDF

Thanks for all the time & attention given so generously to my query here !!
Eventually I did find a correct driver that would simply install, and it would send the jobs, but the printer had to be manually poked to make it actually do the printing each time - a nuisance as it is a network printer that sits in that guy's supplies closet.
Eventually got with a printer support guy who made some suggestions & found that not only did the printer itself need a small adjustment that is buried inside its menus, but also the printer driver was defaulted to A4 paper, which gave the printer a bellyache on each job sent.
All fixed & working now, finally !!

BTW, tried getting the BrightQ™ driver, but their site timed out over & over & over until I finally just gave up on that idea.

Thanks.