Poll: Wobbly Windows?

Sure it will have issues with a proprietary driver. It won’t be Compiz’ fault, it’ll be ATI’s fault for not properly testing their catalyst drivers.

Compiz works perfectly with Intel Open Source drivers.

@stevecook172001 Please install CCSM and have a look at the Workarounds plugin. There are some options for changing the behaviour with fglrx. Do any of those help?

I wasn’t asking whose fault it was. I was asking if others had experienced this problem (or similar) and/or how it might be fixed.

Thanks martin. Will try that

1 Like

I’m using an R7 240/A8 660k Crossfire. Proprietary AMD drivers. In Compiz Config, I also enabled fglrx in workarounds. Nothing seems to really do anything. I know standard open driver does better with Compiz from what I hear, but I can’t even max out my 1920 x 1080 screen res. So that’s out of the question.
I went back to Compiz again. It does work well, but that random OpenGL happens on a daily basis. Typically once or twice in long term usage. Logging out now and then seems to help reduce it. Certainly no shock to see this with an ATI card tbh.

The ATI/AMD open source driver currently only has a max resolution of 1024x768 (which was not always the case, this bug seems to have cropped up relatively recently). Which is a non-starter for me. Indeed, the main Ubuntu forum acknowledges this and suggests people use the proprietry driver till this limitation/bug with the open source one is fixed. Meanwhile, the main Compiz site seems to be under the impression that the proprietry ATI/AMD 7000 series driver is okay because they cite it as being unproblematic when using Compiz. So, I guess I should let them know of my problem.

In any event, not really a big issue for me since I am not bothered about eye-candy effects and have no video tearing issuses if Marco is enabled. Or, at least, similarly to 11ryanc, none that are sufficiently severe for me to notice.

However, I haven’t implemeted any of the workaroud advice yet Martin and so, for the sake of completeness, will do so now and report back shortly.

1 Like

Seems to have fixed it!

Several hours later. Still fixed!

I’ll knock up a quick tutorial for new users who enable Compiz with the ATI/AMD GPU and need to know how to fix this issue. I can’t say, for certain, whether it will fix all problems related to this card (as indicated by 11ryanc). But, it has certainly fixed mine.

Could you please share what you did?

I voted no as Ubuntu MATE is about productivity over “flashy”. The original view of Ubuntu a few years ago was that “the OS got out of the way and I could get stuff done”. This should be true of Ubuntu MATE. The only compiz effects that should be enabled are effects that improve productivity and wobbly windows aren’t improving productivity. I DO enable the desktop cube as that does improve how I visualise my window management.

I voted NO
Wobbly Windows or Rotating Desktop Cube does not improve productivity in any OS it’s just eye candy
in all cases Hot Corners does improve productivity because it makes it faster and easy to find a window where you maybe working.
My 2 cents.

Tiling and window shuffling I could classify as productive. Wobbly windows and the cube are pure eyecandy. But no harm in a little fun :wink:

It’s fine for Spartans to eschew eye-candy but for for some of us, aesthetics matter deeply. Whimsy is not a crime. For me, at least, wobbly windows are an essential feature. They bring life to the screen.

1 Like

I do not like “jinglejangles” on my working desktop …
3:)

I remember when compiz mixed with beryl was the s**** would be nice to have the option for that customization again

Nope, gotta vote NO on this. Now if Ubuntu-MATE offered something like KDE’s take on Compiz, which works great, I’d be interested. But Compiz is too slow. :disappointed:

I’m not use to having wobbly windows, so I will vote no to this too.

That said, there could be a choice in MATE Tweak to choose which level of eye candy users want: “Light”, “Standard”, “Fancy”. Wobbly Windows would be a “Fancy” piece of eye candy. :wink:

1 Like

Yes, Wobbly Windows would be good! It keeps flow.

Why not just use (carefully use) CCSM?

1 Like

I LOVE Compiz-Reloaded (Compiz 0.8.x) and Emerald. Compiz eye-candy attracts people to come to Linux and Emerald is cool for customizing the window borders because there is no other user-friendly GUI that do it.