Poor video media playback with Intel HD 530 integrated graphics

Installed Ubuntu-Mate 16.04 from DVD on a virgin i7-6700K CPU with integrated HD 530 graphics in an MSI Z170A motherboard with 32GB RAM. All current updates installed as of yesterday.

Everything seemed about perfect until I tried playing some video files. VLC, Totem, MPlayer, Xine all have issues – blocky playback, playback not re-sizable, seeking/scrubbing broken, can’t use menus because they pop “under” the video. This is the worst video media playback on Linux I’ve experienced since well before Ubuntu 6.06. :frowning:
Restricted-extras is installed.

These video media files all play back fine on older computers (circa 2010) using Nvidia GeForce2 type graphics card on the old system that I’d installed Ubuntu-Mate 15.10 on and upgraded to 16.04 before buying a new computer.

Any solutions short of getting an Nvidia card? Google is mostly finding info about i915 graphsic issues going from 15.10 to 16.04.

The Skylake integrated graphics was to be a stop gap using my existing dual monitor setup until I upgrade to a 4K display (or two) in about six months. I don’t want to buy a graphics card until I’m ready to upgrade the displays as what I need will likely be cheaper and/or better then. Also seems to be a big premium in cards with HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort, but I’m looking at using a pair of 4K HDTV sets so DisplayPort will probably not be an option. I’m not a gamer.

Could this be a driver issue?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/1577089

Very likely, as there is no driver for my graphics shown in System->Preferences->Hardware->AdditionalDrivers

Looks like I may have to try an old Geforce2 card in the meantime to finish the switch to my system :frowning: