"ppa:lah7/ambiant-mate" package" ambiant-mate-colours-all" missing icons in Control Center

I am using for some time this ppa and the mentioned package
I observe that in both 22.04 and 22.10 there are two icons missing in Control Center...

• Mate Tweak
  • Indicators
    Control_Center_lah7_ppa

Hope maybe @lah7 or someone might fix this issue.
I love this Theme, and I don't intend to move from this theme in the feature, only if it remain unmaintained, and it brakes.

1 Like

Ah yes, I also encountered that.

Here are my $0.02

I use this icon for 'indicators'
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/ayatana-settings.svg

I use this icon for 'Mate Tweak':
/usr/share/icons/menta/256x256/apps/background.png

I remember that I had to spend some time to find suitable icons.

I also love this theme and I will keep it on my systems as long as i can.
I do not have write access to the PPA but I am prepared to help out any way I can to keep this theme from dying.

I hear you! I don't daily drive Ubuntu MATE or the theme/icons myself, so I'll need to be notified whenever something breaks. Ideally by creating an issue on the Git repository. Even better, create a pull request.

I made the fixes:

Published a new 22.04.1 release, the PPA will follow shortly.

5 Likes

@lah7

Since I kept the desktopfiles, that i changed, in $HOME/.local/share/applications
(which actually works) I never noticed that.

But for this cause, I just deleted them and made the changes in /usr/share/applications and indeed it doesn't follow the settings in ayatana-settings.desktop

It is, however, not hardcoded:
Tracing links back and forth, I discovered there is another .desktop file: /usr/share/mate/applications/ayatana-settings.desktop which indeed has the line Icon=system-component-addon

If the patch is made against /usr/share/mate/applications/ayatana-settings.desktop instead of /usr/share/applications/ayatana-settings.desktop I bet there is a high probability that it will work :slight_smile:

Sorry that I can't send you a pull-request (I don't have a github account, and to be honest I don't even know how it works :pensive:) but I hope you can do something with this info.

EDIT: Changing that desktopfile will probably damage other themes so I guess that the Ambiant-MATE icon theme needs a copy of (or softlink to) ayatana-settings.svg named system-component-addon.svg or something like that

2 Likes

Good find! Thanks for the info. I'm a little rusty with MATE, but did vaguely suspect something somewhere was different for MATE Control Centre (which I never really used). If I recall, the icon in the System → Preferences icon is broken too.

I did add system-component-addon to the categories/scalable folder, but in hindsight it might need to be apps/scalable instead.

While symlinking is possible, it's bad practice for the theme to be making links outside our own theme. It seems every non-Yaru theme is broken. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Yes indeed, it also contains the line Icon=system-component-addon
But it is, as far as I can tell, not a seperate desktopfile, it is merely a link.
When I removed my local version of the desktop file, the icon in both control-center and system -> Preferences disappeared.

So it is either patching Yaru to be compatible with the rest or patching everything else to be compatible with Yaru or a case dependent workaround. This could be getting messy real fast. Not a pretty sight.

P.S. I don't know if you have Ubuntu-MATE running but if you don't I am fully prepared to test stuff for you if needed.

1 Like

The only thing that I may have got wrong is that it may need to go in "32" instead of "scalable". It's been a while since I've dealt with icon themes. Pretty sure there may be a cache to deal with as well.

In /usr/share/icons/Ambiant-MATE/categories/, you could try moving it out of scalable and into 32 instead (as root). I can see that Yaru put this named icon inside categories, so my previous comment about maybe needing to be in apps is incorrect.

system-component-addon isn't in the XDG standard. That said, Ambiant-MATE is already a mess with symlinks for what I presume was to support the old days of apps using non-standard icon names. :person_shrugging:

I only have Ubuntu MATE in a VM, but I'm focused on other things at the moment. I think a more proper fix is to change this MATE-specific ayatana-settings file so it uses the same icon as the /usr/share/applications version, so it's fixed for all themes. This command will tell which package installed this file:

dpkg -S /usr/share/mate/applications/ayatana-settings.desktop

If that works locally, then raising a bug on Launchpad should reach the right person. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Bug reported

5 Likes

Thanks guys,
You both are so amazing,

Just update the system and observe both packages have an update, and after update, check one icon fixed... marvelous

1 Like