Print image actual size

I want to print an image in it's actual size. I have tried Gimp and Kolour Paint.

I even tried using points in the height box in Gimp.

Is there a way to print actual size?

Hello fixit7

You could try importing it into LibreOffice Draw, that is what I would do. :slightly_smiling_face:

You should be able to specify the dimensions in the print settings dialogue from whichever application you use to view/edit the image.

You could also use GIMP to create an A4 (or other) paper sized canvas and import/position the image as you'd see it fit on paper, using rulers and setting measurements to "cm" or "mm" or "inch".

To retain picture quality - consider the DPI (dots per inch) settings of the canvas. Screen graphics are generally DPI 96, but print works like images should be DPI 300 or more using graphics with the highest resolution avaliable. This is to avoid having pixelly printed images.

I have tried scaling image using cubic as the quality.

Also changing x and y resolutions to their highest settings.

I tried these after selecting part of the image with the rectangle select and export image to png using the lowest compression level.

It insists on printing a 3 x 3.5 inch picture.

I had to set Gimp to dot to dot under View.

It makes the image larger and the print size.

Gimp said it was 26 x 20 inches.

Actual print size was 8 x 4.5 inches.

:grinning:

Be sure the settings in the print dialog are correct - specifically the Paper Size and Image Settings:

:point_up_2: If these were changed in the past, they won't reset for the new print job.

That image is a wallpaper originally 72 DPI (screen) which wouldn't fit to scale on A4 paper at its original resolution. It could be printed at a smaller scale by either shrinking the canvas size or via the Image Settings tab.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help.

So do I change size in the Image Settings to whatever size paper I have or whatever size that I actually want to be printed on the paper?

Yes, set the paper size to the same size as the paper in your printer and use the Image Settings tab to the adjust the scale as needed.

:printer: Note: The "options" tab differs between programs, but GIMP and MATE's Image Viewer are similar in that they present options to set the size/position of how it should look on paper.

1 Like