Printer problems in Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Hey,
there seems to be an issue with printing in this version ( see the forum e.g.: printing ).
Has anything on this been done or should downgrading to 14.04 be the solution ?

I haven’t had any trouble printing in 16.04, except that initially I were missing some packages required to install EPSON’s official printer driver.

It sounds likely a specific issue with your printer manufacturer or model.

• Which printer?
  • Wired / Wireless?
  • What steps did you take to configure the printer?
  • What happens when you print?

The Epson issue has a fix in proposed-updates and will soon be available for everyone.

1 Like

Hello Wimpy,
as I could see in the forum I too experienced the fact that my printer (e.g. Samsung ML1640 wire connected and properly installed ) got continuously unable.
This is, I install this printer succesfully and within a few seconds it disables itself.
By the way this does not happen under previous Ubuntu Mate 14.04.
Regards.

I’d love an Epson driver fix that made border-less photo printing work correctly in GIMP on my Stylus 2200!

Other than I can’t get “full bleed” prints the quality would leave me with only Vegas Video as a reason to keep my Windows 7 box running.

The Epson fix is in proposed and works. It’s coming soon.

Hey All,

the printer is a Samsung ML1640 ( but same problem with other printers as well ).

Had it installed, uninstalled and installed again with the correct driver ( recomended by Mate 16.04 LTS ).
All goes well till the printer gets evertime automatically un-enabled ? Checking the enable tick-box holds the ¨X¨ in it for only a few seconds and then the printer again gets disabled.

I searched the www and found other stances about the same problem.

Other than that I like Ubuntu Mate very much.

I use the 14.04 version on a USB-key and this still operates perfectly, but since 16.04 LTS is out I started using this on my desktop and different laptops unfortunately with the print problem.

So I hope a solution is coming soon.