Problem with booting

I flashed installer on USB, and intstalled system on main drive. But it boots only sometimes, and only via repair mode - resume (i know its strange, but if i get to that menu and shoose boot - it crashes). If it isnt booting, or booted not like i wrote earlier, i just have a lines on my screen. Laptop - dell inspiron 1501, cpu - 1.79-GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core TL-56, GPU - ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 chipset with 256MB, OS - ubuntu mate 22.04.3 LTS. Booted with Balena Etcher, downloaded iso from Ubuntu Mate side, direct download. I didnt checked the hashes, i dont even know what it is, but i`ll immidiately discover and check it after i end up writing this.

In system there is this:

Release 22.04.3 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish) 64-bit Kernel Linux 6.2.0-26-generic x86_64

MATE 1.26.0

Memory: 1,3 GIB
Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56 × 2
Graphics: Ilvmpipe (LLVM 15.0.7, 128 bits)

As seen its not my GPU, so i think problem is in that (?)

Earlier i tried to install a basic Ubuntu, but when i restarted the system, it was in "try or install ubuntu" mode (yes, i plugged off the usb in this case, and with mate os case too)

1 Like

Where did you download the mate iso? The official Ubuntu Mate site, a bit torrent, a third party site?
Did you check the hashes? I use gtk hash, but there are other methods.
What program/method did you use to burn the iso to a usb drive? Etcher, Rufus, DD comand, Unetbootin, IMG?

This and anymore information you can provide will help other people to help you.

4 Likes

oh, oke, i will edit the text

2 Likes

Welcome @Yarik_Telyashenko to the community!

1 Like

Since a couple of years, all Ubuntu flavours (including Ubuntu-MATE) have switched from MBR to GPT partitioning for both the installation medium and the target disk (in your computer).

In have experienced this "sometimes boots and sometimes not" situation with GPT on buggy non-UEFI BIOSes (most firmware is buggy) on computers older than 2012.
Also had GPT partitioned Live-USB sticks that won't boot at all on some computers.

I don't say that this is the cause of your laptops-shenenigans but it is one of the likely possibilities. (the other reason might be that either yout harddisk, your RAM or your motherboard is dying)

Here is some extra info:

In short:
BIOS bugs can potentially make boot from GPT pretty unreliable or even impossible.

Although you computer is 64-bit, you might choose for a 32-bit distro precisely for this reason.
(32 bit is never GPT/UEFI). Some good choices here:

For two of those laptops that had problems with GPT (including a Sony Vaio from 2006) I installed Bodhi Linux (the 32-bit version because the 64-bit version was all GPT and wouldn't boot at all)

The other good thing with Bodhi linux is that it consumes only about 130MB RAM so for a computer with 1GB Bodhi would be quite a better fit than Ubuntu-MATE.

2 Likes

Personally I don't see sending people who.want Ubuntu Mate to Bodhi. They obviously want a traditional desktop. Other lightweight Mate OS's or Xfce makes more sense to me. Sparky Mate semi rolling or Anti X would be my first two recommendations and third Debian Mate just because the forum is less than helpful to new or casual users. They could also try Spiral Linux Mate, but the last time I tried it, it still needed improvements.

I understand your point of view. :+1:

I can explain how I came to my advice

Remember that what I wrote that my advice was only valid if it was a BIOS vs. GPT problem ?
Keep that in mind because the rest that I wrote is based on that. Also that I had to setup two laptops two days ago with comparable age, specs and bootproblems.

Here is my reasoning:

I usually do not send people to distro's that I didn't try out myself.
Especially in this case where the installer must not be GPT oriented.
Distro's tend not to mention this. That means discovering what boots by trial and error.

All official 'buntus are GPT based and won't boot on certain BIOS based computers.

MATE/XFCE:
The "lightweight" MATE and XFCE distro's I tested were already a bit too heavy for a 1 GB computer. Also , due to the ever expanding GTK libraries, i.e. transistion GTK2->GTK3->GTK4 both MATE and XFCE tend to get fatter and slower over time and I don't see the end of it yet.
Even Trisquel (MATE on Debian that I tested some years ago) on an old computer (2004) with plenty of RAM (2GB) was sluggish (which was also partly due to not having a SSD ofcourse)

LXDE/LXQT:
Since LXDE became LXQT it became almost as heavy on RAM as MATE and XFCE. They also no longer claim to aim for "lightweight". I used to have Lubuntu in my netbooks but switched to a Moksha based distro for this very reason, I haven't tested any non-ubuntu based LXDE/LXQT yet.

AntiX:
I would have advised AntiX, which I love and which I tested two days ago on both of the machines mentioned earlier in this thread but it was a disaster.
AntiX booted very slow, would fall back to a commandprompt after boot. The displaymanager had to be started manually. It had a lot of irritating papercuts (like constantly changing the hostname to default). The Sony Vaio (nVidia GeForce 7300 go) wouldn't even do graphical stuff at all because the nouveau driver wouldn't load. This is completely contrary to my normal AntiX experience. I used to go for Antix 19 which was the best. Now we have AntiX 23 which is in my opinion not up to par.

Trinity:
Yes, Trinity (=KDE3) based disto's are pretty lightweight and can work perfect on earlier mentioned laptops

The only one I tried on a BIOS problematic laptop (the above mentioned Toshiba) was Q4OS and it worked like a charm. The workflow however was completely alien:

Q4OS is traditional Linux but the interface a perfect windows XP lookalike (including the traditionally ugly bitmapped fonts), the usability is not very pretty because the interface tends to get in the way instead of helping you.

Nevertheless, Q4OS is fast, light and installed and ran without a hitch and is therefore a suitable candidate. :+1:

Moksha:
Fork of E17 (enlightenment) Lightest desktop around, fast, elegant, polished and easy to use.
Unforunately there is only one distro that uses the Moksha desktop.
Fortunately it is a distro based on Ubuntu repositories: Bodhi

So why 32-bit Bodhi ?

1. most important: installer uses MBR
  2. I tested it two days ago on two BIOS-problematic machines
    and it ran the most fluent, fast and elegant of the four distro's I tested
  3. Traditional desktop, easy to customize and the amount of customizability is insane :dizzy_face:.
  4. easy install / easy to use
  5. Ubuntu based
  6. eats 130MB RAM on average
  7. fast on old hardware

I haven't tested Sparky or Spiral on forementioned hardware yet so I could not advice it.
I might test them in due time though :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I have thought about what you mentioned and I'm testing some other distro's on this ancient GPT refusing BIOS-buggy 1GB Toshiba P100 Laptop to see which works the best.

Just installed Porteus-MATE 64-bit ... It uses MBR and it boots from USB very fast and uses 340MB RAM.

• MATE desktop
  • very beautiful and slick out of the box
  • incredibly smooth experience
  • it can install a boothelper to assist in booting other USB sticks on buggy-BIOS
  • installable
  • no updates because Porteus is meant to run from USB (just like puppy)
    (but a new install takes 5 minutes so who cares?)

I also tested ALPINE 64-bit but the USB-installer refused to boot. Not that good.

• I used porteus USB-helper to boot from the ALPINE bootstick.
  • after boot you are dumped to the commandprompt. that's it.
    So Alpine is actually a DIY-kit, more so than debian or even slackware.

If you know of any other 64-bit MBR based distro's, let me know
(Next will be Mageia-MATE 64-bit and and PClinuxOS-MATE 64-bit)

2 Likes

Mageia OS 64 bit , MATE desktop selected. MBR and boots
Installer is cumbersome, takes over an hour to complete and asks things the average user won't know. It runs and that's it. I have to try it again some day

PC-Linux-OS MATE 64-bit on this ancient Toshiba P100:
It installs, it boots (MBR) and it runs smooth, it is pretty complete with apps including firefox and libre-office. It uses 271MB RAM (including compositor) and the HD is MBR partitioned.

It is almost (but not quite) as polished as Ubuntu-MATE but boots and runs on Ancient hardware,
This is definitely a winner.

2 Likes