Problems with graphic card drivers

Hi there.
I'm a new Ubuntu Mate user (5 months) in my laptop DELL Inspiron 15R and I've just upgraded to Ubuntu Mate 17.10 from 16.04. I was playing a game on steam and tried to adjust the video settings on that game. Suddenly the screen got frozen and I had to turn off the laptop. Since then when I try to boot the laptop I get the screen freezing on log in, some times can't even get to log in screen (getting a black screen instead). I've searched in forums and seems to be a graphics card driver problem so I followed every solution tutorial I've found (doing things like the nomodeset boot option and downloading a bunch of drivers). From there I learned to boot as recovery from an older kernel but cant properly boot anymore. I've searched on AMD web site for drivers but Ubuntu mate 17.10 is not supported. These are the error that system pops up.

These are the graphics cards in my laptop.

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0a16] (rev 09)

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Venus PRO [Radeon HD 8850M / R9 M265X] [1002:6823]

I'm a newbie so please help. Thanks and sorry for my english in advance.

Hi @gabrieldsuarez,

please read the following link first:

Second, if you are planning to update to Ubuntu Mate 18.04 when released, you might get slightly better support for AMD/ATI GPU’s.

If you want to download and test a live version of UM 18.04, go here:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mate/daily-live/current/HEADER.html

You can upgrade your system if you want to using the following terminal command:

sudo do-release-upgrade -d

Read this first please:

There is no guarantee that an upgrade will solve your problem!. :smiley: