Listed below are some of the problems I am experiencing with my Acer Aspire One netbook computer with the UbuntuMATE operating system. I would appreciate any help that can be offered.
I am also running UbuntuMATE 18.04 on a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop computer that previously ran under Windows XP and I have none of these problems on that machine.
I installed UbuntuMATE (UM) 18.04 OS on my Acer Aspire One netbook computer completely replacing the previous Microsoft Window XP OS. UM was installed from a bootable USB flash drive.
Boot up problem:
• When I push the Power button to turn on and boot up the computer, the button lights up steady green.
• A screen appears with the UbuntuMATE (UM) icon above five dots progressively flashing left to right.
• The screen goes blank and the power button slowly flashes red (Suspend?).
• Press the power button again, it lights steady green, the UM icon and dots appear briefly, the screen goes blank, the power button slowly flashes red.
• Press the power button again (or the Enter key this time). This time the operating system boots up the with the Welcome window displayed.
Shut down problem:
• Click on the Settings symbol (small gear) at the right hand end of the panel at the top of the desktop.
• Click on Shut Down…
• Click on the Shut Down button.
• The screen goes blank and the computer’s power button slowly flashes red as if the computer is in Suspend mode.
• Press the power button and the screen shows a window with the UM icon and a password request window. This screen goes blank after a short while and the power button slowly flashes red. Press the power to bring back the screen.
• In the upper right corner of this screen is a power symbol (circle with a vertical line in the upper circumference). When I click on this I get a menu to Suspend or Quit. When I click on Quit a Shut Down window opens giving me a choice to Restart or Shut Down.
• When I click on Shut Down the UM icon and flashing dots screen appears and the computer shuts off.
• When I click on the Software (clothes hanger symbol) button on the Welcome screen the screen changes to an image of three clothes hangers on a clothes pole with the title “Stocking the Boutique…”, nothing else happens.
• If I go to Software Boutique via Menu/Administration/Software Boutique the same thing happens, nothing.
• When I close this Software Boutique window another window (Ubuntu) opens which says “Sorry, Ubuntu 18.04 has experienced and internal error. Send problem report to the developers?”. I do.