Progress report as we approach 18.04 Beta 2

Glad to see you’ve added the option to customize panels on the welcome screen.

This is really a nitpick, but my only suggestion would be to put the option for “make it look exactly like it did in 16.04” front and center.

I could personally care less what the default layout is as long as the traditional (Applications/Places/System) layout is available (which it is). I could be wrong, but I suspect there are many users who are immediately going to switch right back to the original layout upon first boot, so it would save them some time.

I got very nervous the first time I booted into the 18.04 beta and saw that the menu was changed!

3 Likes

Just a question how far along is the software boutique 2.0 is it testable? or is it still in the beginning stages just wondering :smiley:

Speaking of the Software Boutique–somewhere along the line its link in the menu has lost its icon. Could I get a heads up on the path for that so I can fix it?

Already tried switching icon themes and rebooting neither of which fixed it so menu editing is on the table. Oh and the link opens the application without issue, it simply doesn’t have its icon.

Mine was found at snap/ubuntu-mate-welcome/52/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/software-boutique.svg

1 Like

That did it, thanks! I don’t know all the new paths used in Snap applications so I didn’t know where to go to fix it on my own. Heck, I’d even forgotten that it was a Snap application until just now…

Nope, it’s nowhere ready for testing yet… it can’t even install with Apt yet! it’s development has been stale for a little while now due to other projects / stuff happening.

I’m pretty sure they’ll be a big splash calling for beta testers when it’s “ready”. :slight_smile:

Trivia: Actually the Software Boutique you see today is part of the ubuntu-mate-welcome snap. The new software-boutique snap is there, but it’s acting as a placeholder until a future update.

You could try running:

software-boutique

That runs some new code, but it doesn’t do much else. :wink:

1 Like

ok so the command software-boutique works, of course nothing comes up, but I shall be glad and ready to test it when it comes out, I’m someone who does crazy tings like running pre alpha daily releases on my laptop which I use daily, so I will be glad to test it whenever ready, even pre beta if it becomes available

1 Like