Radeon 4550 pcie driver

dell 980 quad
um 18.04
is there a way to install a better driver i tried to install (amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.run)

it logged that it could not complete :
Package build failed!
Package build utility output:
./packages/Ubuntu/ati-packager.sh: 294: ./packages/Ubuntu/ati-packager.sh: debclean: not found

./packages/Ubuntu/ati-packager.sh: 295: ./packages/Ubuntu/ati-packager.sh: dpkg-buildpackage: not found

[Error] Generate Package - error generating package : Ubuntu/bionic

[email protected] is not the max of my monitor

inxi -G
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV710 [Radeon HD 4550]
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.20.4 )
drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: [email protected]
OpenGL: renderer: AMD RV710 (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.18.0-25-generic, LLVM 8.0.0)
version: 3.3 Mesa 19.0.2

can i install debclean and dpkg-buildpackage

sudo apt-get install debclean
E: Unable to locate package debclean

sudo apt-get install dpkg-buildpackage
E: Unable to locate package dpkg-buildpackage

Download page for Radeon HD 4550 (https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/ati-radeon-hd-4000-series/ati-radeon-hd-4550) reads:

Almost definitely your UM has kernel 4.15 as of July 2019 and the driver in question will not install/work.

1 Like

ugnvs
i have :
uname -a
Linux 03-980 4.18.0-25-generic #26~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 27 07:28:31 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
is there any way around this ?

@klein
I think that no one would a priori claim that the driver would not compile and would not work. The chances for successful result are not encouraging though. You see, I use to believe developers and the driver is not supported since 2013 and no one has tested it with modern kernels.
I am afraid I do not see a workaround.
P.S.

dpkg-buildpackage is a member of dpkg-dev package
debclean is a member of devscripts package

ok
so i installed dpkg-dev and devscripts.
now it is says :
Check if system has the tools required for installation.

fglrx installation requires that the system have kernel headers. /lib/modules/4.18.0-25-generic/build/include/linux/version.h cannot be found on this system.

One or more tools required for installation cannot be found on the system. Install the required tools before installing the fglrx driver.

Optionally, run the installer with --force option to install without the tools.
Forcing install will disable AMD hardware acceleration and may make your system unstable. Not recommended.

so why not i'm going to try to force it

Surely, the decision is yours and only yours.
According to my experience people usually bother to install hardware-specific drivers to get a better hardware acceleration, etc.
To get kernel headers you can install build-essential package.