Raspberry Pi 2/3 and Graphics Performance on Ubuntu MATE?

When I loaded Ubuntu Mate 15 on my Raspberry Pi, I overclocked it to 1.1GHz (stable), however I noticed that the graphics performance on the Ubuntu Mate distro is very slow. When doing 3D graphics, I may get 1 to 2 frames per second.

I attempted to benchmark the Raspberry Pi 2 (at 1.1GHz) with a game called ‘Red Eclipse’, and the rendering performance was approx. 1 frame every 30 seconds.

Am I missing any important libraries for 3D graphics performance? is OpenGL needed? I thought it was already included. Just a little bewildered.

These Raspberry Pi’s are being benchmarked by me to eventually use in a studio :slight_smile:
We’re planning on creating a cluster for 3D rendering in the near future, I just want to make sure I have all of my ‘ducks in a row’ so-to-speak, so that we can squeeze every last bit of performance out of these great little Pis

Ubuntu MATE 15.xx doesn’t support the acceleration or OpenGL needed to run 3D apps or programs that require the GPU (like Kodi). 16.04 has experimental OpenGL, but it’s disabled by default.

I don’t know myself how to enable this experimental feature, but I’m watching this:

It looks like this person doesn’t know how to enable it as well?
So it DOES need to have OpenGL enabled in order for graphics acceleration to work?