Raspberry Pi 2 and shutting down / turning on

The Raspberry Pi 2 (and other Pi models for that) don’t have an on/off switch.

When you shut down Ubuntu-Mate, every thing switches off, but there is still power to the Pi 2. To restart the system, I have to unplug the micro USB and reinsert it.

Is there another way?

I can see the power socket on the Pi 2 wearing out pretty quickly.

I can cut the power cord (low voltage side) and insert a switch.

However, I was wondering whether there is a neater way of doing things.

Hi Steve.

I would be inclined to just do as you have considered doing and fit an inline switch.

However, for a more elegant solution, this seems promising:

1 Like

By the way as well, Steve, I would welcome your thoughts on how the Pi2 performs with UM. I have been toying for a while with the idea of using one of these as a skinny client on an LTSP network.

Thanks for that Steve. It looks very interesting and is a nicely designed board. It goes way beyond what I was thinking about.

I saw a rather simpler affair, which is purely a reset switch, consisting of two pins of 2.54mm pin strip and a reset computer cable. The two pins are soldered into the Run header on the Pi 2 board (It’s in a different place on the Pi board and only on Revision 2 Pi boards. It’s also called P6). Once soldered, attach the reset connector.

When the Pi 2 has been closed down by the OS (UM in my case), it is in a shutdown or halt state but with the power still connected. A momentary press of the switch attached to the computer reset cable, will wake up the Pi 2.

I must admit though, the additional functionality of the solution in the video you posted is interesting!

On the performance of the Pi 2 with UM, I am very impressed. I’m just at the stage of playing with this at the moment, but Open Office 5.0 runs very nicely.

Have you seen the PiNet project at http://pinet.org.uk ?