Raspberry Pi 3, Cloned SD cards are always slower

Hi All,
I am hitting a weird issue, I am cloning my original 16GB Class 10 sd card to 32 GB class 10 SD Card(As we can’t clone 16GB to 16GB ) of same manufacturer, what I am seeing is that with cloned card my system is working slower than original one, to be more precise, there is around 3x increase in boot time and my other applications are also running slower in the cloned card, any clue ???

I take it that this is because they are different sizes (but this can be catered for by resizing before the clone).
I don’t see why the copy should run slower (on the same Pi) except for card differences which are not otherwise visible.
Derek

I’m curious about this because i’m also about to upgrade to a 32gb card from a 16gb. What do you mean by resize before the clone? I can’t make the size bigger than 16gb on a 16gb card right? I thought you could only expand the filesystem afterwards.

Just wanna make sure I do this the correct way so I don’t experience this problem.

The resize was specific in the case of a problem cloning to a same size (nominally) sd card.
When cloning to a ‘larger’ card it doesn’t apply, and any resizing to take account of greater size has to be done after the clone!!

I get this problem too

Which particular problem?

The problem that, no matter by what method a Raspberry Pi SD card is cloned, the cloned card always runs slower by a factor of two to three.

I’m no expert but, it you want to get any further, you’ll need to explain your tests and provide debug logs to enable analysis

It seems to be easy to demonstrate:

1. Obtain two nominally identical SD cards (same make, model and preferably batch);
  2. Program one SD card with any recent official Raspbian image;
  3. Note the boot time of this card and the speed at which software executes;
  4. Clone card A to card B by any method of your choosing, e.g. the official piclone utility;
  5. Boot card B and note that it takes nearly 3x as long. Also note that software runs at nearly one third the speed compared to card A.