Raspberry Pi 3 Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Samba

Hi where,

I’m trying to set up a Samba server for my raspberry.
I tried all the instructions that can be found on Google however I can’t manage to set it correctly.

I want to have shared windows drive with no user or password request - open dirve.
I’m following instructions:

my share directory is mounted to USB hard-drive

[Anonymous]
path = /media/MAC
browsable =yes
writable = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no
force user = nobody
create mask=0777
directory mask=0777

I mount my USD drive by:

sudo mount -t auto /dev/sda1 /media/MAC

When ever the samba is lunch i have access to shared folder, but i don’t have edit rights
If I want to copy file or create folder, windows give POP-UP window :slight_smile:
“You need permission to preform this action”.

I have lunched commands:

chmod -R 0775 /media/MAC
chown -R nobody:nogroup /media/MAC

error message:

root@Raspberry:/media# chown -R nobody:nogroup /media/MAC
chown: changing ownership of '/media/MAC/.Trash-1000/info/untitled folder.trashinfo': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of '/media/MAC/.Trash-1000/info': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of '/media/MAC/.Trash-1000/files/untitled folder': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of '/media/MAC/.Trash-1000/files': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of '/media/MAC/.Trash-1000': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of '/media/MAC/Labas': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of '/media/MAC': Operation not permitted

Please advise what i’m doing wrong.

Thanks in advance
Saulius

I am going around in circles trying to setup a Raspberry PI 3 as a file server with 6 USB drives. Not being Linux guru, I try to avoid using the command line as much as possible. I installed the system-config-samba GUI, created a user and shared the drives. Using nmap from my Linux Mint KDE system the RPI3 doesn’t appear, but I can ping it and ssh into it. If I use Dolphin, I’m asked for a username and password, but when I enter the information, the same dialog box reappears. What am I missing?

Hi,

I got everything worked out.
Just use the link in my post for detailed instructions.
The permission problem apparently was cost by USB format. I have re-formated to windows format ntfs. And everything works well

As a relative Linux noobie, I try to avoid the command line as much as possible, so Installed system-config-samba. I’ve shared the drives (all NTFS formatted), I’ve even tried creating new users. Why doesn’t nmap see the RPi and why can’t I login or connect via Dolphin? I got this to work on a RPi 2 running Ubuntu Mate 15.04 with an external USB wifi dongle, but not on my RPi 3 running UM 16.04 using its internal wifi.