Raspberry Pi 3 with Ubuntu Mate 16 shows "WiFi Networks device not ready"

Hello,

I am using Raspberry Pi 3 (RPi3) with Ubuntu Mate 16. RPi3 is connected with GUI (Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse) . I tried setting up WiFi Network in RPi3 but the tab is inactive (it shows “WiFi Networks device not ready”).
Could anyone tell me how I can set up the WiFi? (Wired Internet works, by the way)
Thanks for any help.
(edit 1) I tried the command : lspci -nnk | grep net -A2, and got the following output, if that helps:
pcilib: Cannot open /proc/bus/pci
lspci: Cannot find any working access method.
(edit 2) when I try running iwconfig and ifconfig in the terminal, it shows the WiFi and the wlan0 ip address, respectively. But I am unable to ping to this ip address and internet is also not accessible.
(edit 3) In Control Centre > Hardware > Additional Drivers, it is empty! Should I install any additional drivers? If so, how can I do it?

The “issue” is “false advertising” - MATE is NOT specific to Raspberry Pi as It is missing essential application used in Raspian raspi-config.
Without such app you have to configure most interface stuff manually.
I have already done SSH , now working on WiFi.
It is not that hard, but an exercise in Linux command interface !
I do not have all the commands I have tried memorized - but essentially you have to build "wpa_supplicant.conf " file , to add build-in Broadcom interface. Such file is non existent in MATE.

There is a procedure on “how to” https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruits-raspberry-pi-lesson-3-network-setup/setting-up-wifi-with-occidentalis you can use as a guide.

Good luck

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I have already done this procedure. After this procedure, when I type iwconfig in terminal, it shows my WiFi in wlan0 (meaning, it got connected). Also, when I type ifconfig, it shows an IP Address in wlan0. But in right-top corner tab of my desktop, it still shows “WiFi Networks device not ready”.
(edit) Now, I can access Internet through WiFi from RPi3, but SSH still does not work.

Sorry I jumped the gun stating that “raspi -config” is missing.
Probably forgot to add “sudo” when trying to open it.
However - there is no networking option(s) .
If you read the mail on Ubuntu forum you can see that lots off folks are having issues with Ubuntu WiFi.
That of course does not help you or me.

I have managed to keep WiFi connection going on RPi but since I have no browser app working ( broke after MATE update) on RPi I have to keep manually switching between my desktop and RPi.
I had to set it as “hot spot” to keep it up.
So I have a little control over “my network” now - I cannot SSH to RPi when BOTH connections ( Ethernet and WiFi ) are active on RPi.

I don’t have raspi-config either!
If the browser is FF, then it is a well known problem - the only way round is to stop FF being updated (hold it - see earlier threads).
I don’t have any problem with ethernet or WiFi, but don’t try to have both as this can lead you to routing problems. I’m not sure why there should be no networking options, as I seem to have all I need. I have no problem with SSH.
HTH
Derek

I had the same problem several times. It was one of the main reasons I didn’t use Ubuntu MATE on my Pi for a while. Maybe something got fixed eventually, because on my most recent attempt, I got the same message at first, but it worked after a reboot.