Raspberry Pi 3 with Ubuntu Mate as fileserver project

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 that is not in use today. I think I am going to install Ubuntu Mate on it an use it as a file-server. I have a 1 TB disk that I can connect with USB to the RPI3. I will use it as a backup server and perhaps install Nextcloud on it later if possible. I used it as a Ubuntu server earlier, but I was not sure of the security even if it is only on my Lan. If i install Ubuntu Mate and turn on the firewall and only use Samba share that is built in Caja filemanager from Software Boutique, is there something else I have to consider?

Thanks.
Laffen.

PS! English is my second language, not 100% :blush:

I’m running Xubuntu-based Privacy Enhanced Linux 64-bit on my Pi 3 file server. Their kernel has BTRFS and NTFS support compiled right in plus comes with folder encryption software.

privacyenhanced dot blogspot dot com

Thanks, I will check it out :smile:

I tried to use Ubuntu Mate for Raspberry Pi, but I had some problem. First, I could not get the check sum to match. I downloaded both torrent and direct img, but neither of them checked with the key on the web page. I installed it anyway… Second, Ubuntu Mate on Raspberry Pi was very slow. Perhaps it was something wrong with the iso or perhaps I am used to my laptop with 8 GB ram and Core i7 processor…

I downloaded Jessie lite, installed samba and ufw firewall and use Ubuntu Mate backup program. That will do for now.

Somebody should check the img on the web page against the check sum, perhaps the check sum on the page is wrong?

Laffen.